Is a wireless boom really that bad..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Is a wireless boom really that bad..?

I've got an ME66 shotgun mic and also a Sennheiser SKP100 XLR wireless unit, which I'd like to use in combination. I've seen some posts in this forum from folks who say that the sound quality is good enough for ENG but not for indie feature production Is it really that bad?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, it's actually acceptable. As with any mic system you have to pay as much attention to your audio as you do your video. Cell phones, microwave ovens, very close power lines, ie: anything that gives off emr, etc. can be a problem and here it's better to use cable.
High end NLE audio packages give some very good controls. Best thing to do is perform some tests where you plan to shoot and decide for yourself.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Trustee

I run wireless now...works just fine, big rich sound. Make sure you have headphones and listen for interference/shifts in quality.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I will do some more extensive testing, but my initial tests seem to indicate that it wouldn't be unusable. The alternative would be to have sound recorded on a small recorder and sync up later. I don't have TC, so wireless seems attractive .
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Major Player

The normal reason to choose wired over wireless is as a safety...

You are less likely to get dropouts over an XLR cable than you are through a UHF wireless signal - especially if you're not using a diversity receiver.

As long as you've got someone carefully monitoring sound and you're not in a "one take" situation then it shouldn't cause too many problems.

We shot an exercise DVD in the summer wireless audio only, using the Sennheiser G2 kit. Over 3 days with about 6 hours of recorded tape we had just 4 dropouts, although we had to keep fresh batteries on standby the whole time.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the TV show "without a trace" only uses wireless when they shoot at their studio sets ( warner brother lot) ... as far as i know they run wireless at locations too ....
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Trustee

if you do end up shooting separate sound, just make a claping noise (with a board or your hands, pen against clipboard). in post, synch the spike in the audio waveform with the frame where the clap happens, don't need TC for that...just a good eye :) Again, more testing to check for drift and whatnot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio