phantom power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

phantom power

I just received my Rode NT-2 Mic, I am using a GL2 Cam. Can someone please tell me frist of all what is phantom power? and does the NT-2 or GL2 have it?

Thanks
G Randall
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Gary,

Phantom power is a 12-48V power provided by the camera to the microphone. Generally microphones perform better with phantom power than 1.5V battery sources. I am not familiar with the GL2, but I suspect that it does not have phantom power, in which case you will need to use the 1.5V battery. It is a pretty safe bet that if your camera does not have XLR (3 pin professional sound adaptors) connectors, then it will NOT have phantom power. THe converse also applies. If your GL2 does have xlr adaptors - use these connected directly to your NTG2, and enjoy better performance from both mic and camera inputs.

If you don't have XLR inputs, then you will need an XLR to 1/8inch stereo adaptor - so that you can plug your NTG2 into the microphone in socket on your camera.

Hope that this helps,

All the best,
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall
I just received my Rode NT-2 Mic, I am using a GL2 Cam. Can someone please tell me frist of all what is phantom power? and does the NT-2 or GL2 have it?

Thanks
G Randall
As Greg said ...

The GL2 does not provide phantom power. You can use mics that require phantom and lack internal batteries with it but you'll need to interpose a mixer or XLR adapter that provides power in between the mic and the camera.

Do you have the Rode NT-2 or the Rode NTG-2 microphone? They're very different. I'm going to assume it's the NTG-2 as that most often used for location video, the NT-2 is a studio mic. The NTG-2 can run on either phantom power or its own internal battery power.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio