iRiver 895 - Cannot increase Bit-Rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

iRiver 895 - Cannot increase Bit-Rate

Finally got my hands on two iRiver 895 recorders to use with two GSquids..yay happy day!

However, am having a problem with setting the bit rate.

I have got mono mics so have seen on here that should use the optimum setting of 44.1 KHz and 160Kbps...

But, when i set this in the Line-In Recording Mode screen I can only set to 96Kbps....wont let me go higher

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ok, getting somewhere....but still need help!

SO, after some googling and searching in more detail through the forum it would appear that this is what is happening:

I have brought an iRiver that someone has flashed the firmware on to allow it to appear as a flash drive and drag-drop files etc. It also appears to limit the bit setting to 96Kbps.....

So now i need to flash it back....that doesnt appear so easy as I have so far found nothing on it.

Any help or links much appreciated.....
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, you are right:
there are two firmware versions, the UMS allows drag and drop but limits the recording capabilities while the original firmware requires the iriver software for file transfer but offers full recording capacities.

to download the original firmware from iRiver site:
http://www.iriver.com/html/support/d...pSearchString=

if you need help how to flash ask again, or better refer to:
http://www.misticriver.net/wiki/inde...IFP-800_Series
resp. ask at:
http://www.misticriver.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29

there you also will find some 'workarounds'.

Last edited by Andreas Griesmayr; January 26th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Andreas Griesmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply and links Andreas,

I am having another problem that i have installed the music manager software 3.17 but it does not connect to the iRiver. Is this because the iRiver has had firmware upgraded?

This leads to the problem that although I have the firmware downgrade file to return to original firmware I cannot run it as it needs to be run through the music manager software....

chicken and egg spring to mind.....any ideas?
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Fixed at last

Thought I would post back to thank all for helping and to highlight what went wrong in case anyone else has same issue in the future:

1. Purchase 2nd hand with V1.28 firmware
2. discovered only 96 Kbps recording possible
3. needed to downgrade firmware
4. cannot connect to IMM (Iriver Music Manager) with V1.28
5. downloaded .hex firmware file from iRiver site
6. followed guide that tells you to drop file in root of iRiver drive when plugged as usb storage device and then use menu on iRiver to upgrade firmware.
7. found this didnt work if you have the wrong file! that was my biggest issue. You have to be real careful when downloading the firmware that you get the correct one! I was using the ifp-8xx.hex file when i should have been using the ifp-8xxT.hex file.
8. So, i actually ended up installing v1.29 and all is sweet, I have my 160Kbps back on Mono.

and thanks to all for the help.
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

quote of somebody who had faced the same problem but figured it out:

Once your UMS drive is plugged in,

Download the Firmware from iriver site INTO the UMS drive main directory(root)

Then safely remove the hardware

Then go to control and update firmware and then it takes about 3-5 min
and then its back to ver 1.25

( taken from this thread:http://www.misticriver.net/showthrea...flash+firmware )
another quote which could be of relevance for you::
'UMS is now available with firmware 1.28. There are three caveats to the 1.28 release though : Your maximum record bitrate is 96Kpbs. With 1.25, it is 320Kbps. '
Could that mean that with the v1,25 UMS one has both, drag and drop + highest bitrate for recording?

to find out if this is true best inquire directly at the mysticriver forum, there you also can find out why some people prefer the Korean or the Japanese firmware.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio