Audio Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fix Audio Problem?

Hi Folks Revision to make point clearer. Long story below. Is there an audio processing technique that will bring more presence to roomy sounding audio recorded with on-camera mic? I know it's not likely but thought I'd give it a shot in case there is a fix.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Folks,
I was doing some interviews and b-roll with my new cannon xh-a1. Between interviews I shot some b-roll and disconnected xlr inputs from lavs and switched menu setting to "xlr off so camera would pick up nat sound. Client is 'producer from he** and was pushing me to the limit all day and since this was first time with camera I forgot to switch back to xlr on position to go back to lavs for next interview. (Not an excuse, just an explanation.)
I haven't had a chance to listened back to interview yet but I'm sure it sounds very 'roomy and hollow'.
To make a long story short does anyone know of or had experience with any way to do the proverbial 'fix it in post' - somehow using eq or some kind of processing to significantly reduce 'roominess' sound?

Thanks in advance for any of your answers.

Last edited by Martin Kornfeld; January 31st, 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: To make question clearer
Martin Kornfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:48 AM   #2

Obviously there is no way to make it match the properly recorded audio.
However, by using a combination of EQ and compression, and finding the hot points of the room, you can diminish the room somewhat.
I've posted a short recipe here a couple of times, but can't find the posts and don't have time to type the entire workflow right now. I'll see what I can find later today if no one else posts the recipe.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3

Try this....
www.har-bal.com
A little practice with it, and perhaps some guidance for Earle or Paavo, since you're new at it, and you can work miracles.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys I'll check out har-bal. Douglas it will be great to see your recipe from you or anyone else who has it.
Anyone else with solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Douglas, Just a thought, and I hope this doesn't violate forum policy, but if my producer wants to, can I send copy of tape to you for you to do, of coarse for a fee? I' not looking to match other properly recorded audio just looking to try to salvage interview.

Marty
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks all for your helpful comments. Client left town and seemed ok with situation and would have her audio guy take care if it.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

This is perhaps the most frequent "problem" asked about in audio.

Let's have a short "Morbidity and Mortality" session here to see how we can keep this from happening again.

First, this problem can always be prevented by wearing headphones; not only during setup, but during the shoot.

Second, this problem can always be prevented by wearing headphones; not only during setup, but during the shoot. :)

If you don't currently wear headphones during shooting. This problem will eventually happen to you and, no, there is no real cure for the problem. Anything you do, any processing you use, will not match the original audio. Unless your original is also pretty darn bad.

Your only real solution, as someone else mentioned, is the "reshoot filter." :)

Actually, forget everything I just said. I really like it when this happens because they client chooses another shooter next time and I get hired to make sure the audio is really good. It's not a big source of revenue for me, but this kind of work usually comes in several times a year. I haven't lost one of those clients yet.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio