Wireless mic virgin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless mic virgin

I'm needing to get a wireless mic for wedding work soon. I know NOTHING about what to look for, what works, doesn't work, etc.

I'm using 2 GL2s and an XL1s if that helps out any. Please help!
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Wireless mics for weddings

I use and like the Samson line of wireless mics for weddings. I've used a few different models, but the one I like best for size, quality, etc, is the Airline Micro series of mics.

My reasons:
- Leave off the lav mic and use the transmitter's built in mic when you need a small proximity near the soloist, reader, whatever...

- Get the plug on transmitter option, and turn any mic into a wireless mic.

- Small enough to mount on the camera with very little added weight.

- Operates in the UHF bands, 6 channels to choose from.

- One AAA battery lasts forever (seems like it anyway!)

- Battery indicator light comes ON when you have 1 hour of battery life left.

- Most importantly, it works!

Sorry if I sound like a walking ad for Samson, but I like the products. The only drawback I 've experienced (or heard about) is a slow and sometimes unresponsive service/parts department. (I needed a replacement battery door and it took 6 months and 3 phone calls to finally get it mailed to me.)

Check out their site for more details. B&H has fair prices, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.samsontech.com/

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Cool. Thanks. I see that it just logs straight into the GL2. Is this the best way to go, or is using an XLR device for the XL1 a better bet?
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

We have many sets of the Senn Evolution G2, which we have been really happy with. The $600 kit comes with a receiver that has a miniphone and XLR, bodypack trans. with a LAV, and a transmitter that plugs into a sound board or XLR mic.

It's a great package.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Go for the Sennheiser Evolution or the Sony UWPC1 - they are really robust as well. Just don't use any of the supplied mics! Get a good Lav mic.

The sennheiser is good in kit form because it has a plug in transmitter for a hand held mic.

-j
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

John,

That trans that plugs into the handheld or board is great. We also use them on a shotgun that could be placed on a tabletop tripod so that we can move freely--we do not have sound guys so this is a great option on site for remote audio.

Good luck with your decision.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ditto on the Senn Evolution G2. I have a set and really love working with it. In fact, that's what the rental house I used to work at would rent for most wireless mic rentals (unless they were willing to pay big $$$'s for Electosonics.)

One word of advice...make sure you mount the receivers so the antenna is NOT point straight at the transmitter. If you do, you find yourself with quite a few dropouts.

Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle
Cool. Thanks. I see that it just logs straight into the GL2. Is this the best way to go, or is using an XLR device for the XL1 a better bet?

I think it depends on how you want to shoot and edit. If you do a lot of 'run and gun' stuff, the Airline Micro will work great just plugged directly into the GL-2. If you've got time to set up a mixer, get an XLR to 3.5mm cable (I made my own) and have at it. If you want to use it with the XL1, it should work fine with the XLR to 3.5mm cable plugged directly into the camera. I've also used these through a Beachtek (and similar) on-camera mixer and they worked great.

At most of the weddings I shoot, the wireless goes directly into one camera, and it all gets mixed in post. On larger shoots, I'll set up the mixer.

There are some other good brands mentioned here, but I haven't used them, so I won't pretend to know very much about them.
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle
Sorry, what do you mean "logs straight into" ?

BTW, I just heard about a new Audio Technica wireless that has two channels (one for each of two mics) in one camera mountable receiver. I'll know more about it soon.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Wrong term? Probably ... what I mean is it plugs into the mic port (given) with nothing else to buy
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

There are vey good reasons for using a mixer.

You can ride gain on a take.
There's a good limiter (hopefully) that let's you run higher levers safely.
Good mixer's have EQ that is very helpful.
Good mixers have preamps that sound a lot better than many cameras.

There's more in my little book.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Im looking for a wireless microphone setup too for my GL2. I know even less than the guy who started the thread.

I have an DM-50 but I do most shooting outside with all kinds of carnival type noises it seems.

The thing you stick on top of the shoe on the GL2. I assume you also need something else to go with that. Like the thing you pin in the guys lapel. I need this dumbed down to like a third grade level for me.

I dont need a system to make Oliver Stone jealous, just something that will do a nice job of picking up audio as I do outdoor interviews while trying to avoid background noises.

A. What do I need for the camera.
B. What do I need for the numnuts Im interviewing.

Id like to spend under $200. Just something that works well out of the box and doesnt need a Phd from Cal Tech to set up on the camera.

Can you help point me in the proper direction on exactly what I need?
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Senn EW100 G's work well

I have two sets and have never had a problem with them. One you get them set up you just power them up for the next shoot and you're ready to go. I saw on a tutorial where they elliminated using the clip and with using gaffers tape, hide the mike under the fold near the shirt buttons. I have been doing this for several interviews and it has worked out well, plus you don't have the ugly microphone visible.

Here is a link to the Senn's to show you how they set up....

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Don't overlook Lectro

Those folks over at Lectrosonics make some entry level equipment too. Their UCR100 paired with one of the LM transmitters makes a pretty nice combo. Even better, the LM is compatible all the way up to their top-end receivers, so as you step up, you can still use them as back up transmitters or to run your IFB setup. That way your investment has a longer useful lifetime. Lectro always gets the "way to expensive to consider" label, and that may not be entirely true.

I grant you that they will cost a bit more than the Sennheisers, but I promise that they will be useful working equipment for much longer than your current digital camera. The real curse of this business is that you will never own all the stuff you want.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #15
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rieman

Id like to spend under $200. Just something that works well out of the box and doesnt need a Phd from Cal Tech to set up on the camera.

Can you help point me in the proper direction on exactly what I need?
Hi Chris,

The Sennheiser Evolution G2's we sell might be outta the $200 budget range for you right now, but we've had fairly decent results with the Audio Technica PRO-88. It's only 2 channel VHF, but it works and it is in your budget. They won't have all the bells and whistles like the G2's as you see me demo in the dvcreators video but hey they're affordable and get you in the game.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio