G2 Wirless + Rode VM + Beach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Major Player

G2 Wirless + Rode VM + Beach

Hey Guys,
I'm filming a school play. I thought I'd have one practice to get the sound right, but we got in ice in Georgia yesterday and the play was cancelled. Got to do it for real today and I could use a rule of thumb hint to prevent an audio disaster.

The school is using some real bad uhf wireless mics or don't know how to use them, because they're making a lot of feedback- that limits me at the soundboard. I'm going there early to help relay their cables so they're not crossing over and hope this will help.

So anyway, they're removing most of their mics from the actors because of their own tech problems.

I want to put some wireless mics at the front of the stage and transmit to my camera. G2 Wireless + Rode Video Mic transmitted to the Beachtek on my Sony VX2100.

I've been through the tutorial that Guy did on DV store theatre, but that was pretty much for a lapel mic.

The sound/audio from the play will be coming from a large speaker on the back of the stage. It will play music. The Miced actors will also come out on that speaker for better or worse. The non-miced actors are on their own which is why I'm placing my mics up front by the stage. I mention this because I don't know if the music coming from that speaker is going to make me peak. I'll try as hard as I can before the show starts, but its kind of chatoic with the blind leading the blind, so I want to at least start with some wireless settings that will be right for the job.

I'm going to use two G2 wireless/Rode VM mics on mic stands. These are the settings I'm thinking about.

Transmitter Sensitivity: at zero
Receiver AF Out at: +12

I'm having a mental problem grasping the concept of sensitivity versus AF out. I know Guy said the AF was set at +12 as a default but it was too "hot", but "hot" is he talking about too sensitive for a lapel mic? So would that mean since I'm using a shot gun mic that will be 12 feet away from the talent and 24 feet away from the speaker, that "too hot" at +12 might be right for my set up?

Same goes for transmitter sensitivity. I think Guy thought -20db would be good for people on a lav but changed to -10bd for himself, so going to zero for a Rode Video Mic connection instead of a Lav Mic seems to make sense to my head.

Also, since I'm using a Beach, I'm thinking about setting the audio levels on VX2100 at about 75% instead of 50% and adjusting volume with the Beach Controls. I think 75% instead of 50% because 50% hasn't seemed to the job done in the past.

Lastly, I think I'm supposed to set the Beach to Stereo instead of Mono because I want both microphones to combine as merged audio, since the actors could be stage left, right, or center stage.

Lots of info here, but I guess I'm looking for specific answers if this has already been experienced or theoretical answers depending on your opinion of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks,
Scott

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Receiver: AF-Out = Lev +00
Transmitter: Sensitivity = -10db

Worked very well.

"Talk is cheap unless you have a lot of audio toys"
Scott Routt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio