Wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Wireless

When you see those interviews and travel shows on TV where a couple of people are talking and being followed by the camera, I've wondered what wireless receiver the cameraman may be using that allows two transmitters (I'm talking about the no-crew shooting where it's just the cameraman handling onboard audio).

I've been looking at lots of different models. I really like the Samson UM1...but it doesn't handle two transmitters. After Samson, it seems like the price jumps dramatically to the next quality level like Sennheiser.

So...is there a compact receiver out there that accepts two transmitters and is in a mid-price range (and has the mini-XLR jacks for the XL-1)?
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #2

I believe the Azden wr22 pro2 receiver accepts two simultaneous transmitters and puts each signal on stereo L & R. The unit is also reasonably priced. See:
www.markertek.com
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 01:50 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

You could just hook up two separate receivers - one for each person. However, there are units available that can receive inputs from two separate signals.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I have an earlier version of the Azden two channel receiver (WR2-Pro) and unless they have improved it, the handheld that came with it (WM/T-Pro) picks up a tremendous amount of handling noise. I checked the Markertek site and the WR22-Pro2 looks pretty much like the one I have with the only exceptions being two antennas and stereo plug on the newer model.
Old February 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #5

that's good info to know, Ed, thanx. I think I'll avoid the Azden.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #6
Contributor

Azdens

For a long time azden made cheapo mics, their new pro series however is excellent. I used a friends azden pro wireless setup on a shoot and it performed every bit as well as my $2300 lectrosonic system.

Last edited by Aaron Frick; February 6th, 2002 at 10:22 AM.
Aaron Frick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 09:40 PM   #7
The Storyteller

Wireless Microphone

I bought a Sennheiser system for about $500 and it works great. It likes 9 volt batteries, but I've found it is better than a Lectrosonics VHF unit I used for a long time. I wouldn't rule out the Sennheiser ENG package. Joe
Old February 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I found info on the two-receiver Azden. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm interested in Sennheiser, because their reputation for quality is so high, but I can't find a two-receiver model listed in their inventory. Storyteller, do you know which model accepts two receivers?

One thing that I keep seeing on the info pages for various wireless systems is something like below:

Number of channels: 32
Number of simultaneous systems: 32

Can anyone explain what "simultaneous systems" means?

Another thing they mention is "unidirectional" and "omnidirectional" lavalier mics? In which situations are these different types of mics used?

Thanks.

Last edited by John Locke; February 7th, 2002 at 08:41 AM.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Siumltaneous means the maximum number of systems you can have together in one location. As per your example:

32 Simultaneous = No more than 32 sets of receivers and transmitters at one moment at one time. I doubt anyone here would work with 32 channels of wireless, I always run 10 under the max just for frequency safety. I've worked with high-end (Shure UHF, UHF-R) as many as 42 channels of pure wireless. And then 110 channels of wired sources... and then wireless monitoring systems. Such a scenario is known as "RF Hell"

Most lavalier mics are omnidirectional, meaning that they accept sounds from all directions. These are your basic clip-on and go mics, just it close, dont worry about direction.

Unidirectional or Cardioid lavaliers, require great care in placement in order to obtain a pleasant sound. UNIdirectional, means it accepts sound comming in from one direction as opposed to the OMNIdirectionals, that take everything in. Unidirectionals, accept more speaker sound and less background noise, but need great care while being placed, and so that they stay in place.

I recommend using omni lavs unless you have a very expirienced sound-op
on hand.

For clarity, most broadcast production crews (from expirience) just use 2 sets (transmitter and receiver) of wireless units. I have not met a camera-mountable simultaneous (both at one time) receiver that was satisfactory to the rigors of ENG. Yes Azden makes them, and yes they get the job done, but I prefer two Lectro sets, just for frequency santity and build quality. My current setup is one drop-in receiver (specific to Sony professional full size cameras*- I use a Sennheiser SKM5000 drop in model) and a Lectrosonics plug-on set mounted to my battery plate.

* Panasonic and Ikegami cameras also feature drop-in wireless units.

Sennheiser, Lectrosonics, Zaaxcom, - Do not offer dual cannel singly body receivers (to the best of my knowledge)
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke
[...] is there a compact receiver out there that accepts two transmitters and is in a mid-price range (and has the mini-XLR jacks for the XL-1)?
Is there a specific reason why the receiver has to be a dual unit? I'm not sure what you consider mid-price range, but I consider the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series UHF lavalier wireless mic system to be pretty good value for the money, a step above entry-level but no where as expensive as the "pro" systems. I seen them as a middle ground between the low-end and the pro-end.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke
...<snip>...
So...is there a compact receiver out there that accepts two transmitters and is in a mid-price range (and has the mini-XLR jacks for the XL-1)?
Two separate receivers mounted on the same camera are a very common way of accomplishing this rather than a single receiver tuning multiple channels at once. There are a variety of dual receiver mounts available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio