Dynamic or Condenser for voiceover in poor acoustics? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Yep, what Ty said.
Been doing that for ages too. Also, don't buy into these isolating cabinets. They do more damage than good imho. Even if they have active cooling, it is never enough to keep the temperature at reasonable levels. Tried it, didn't work.

One suggestion, if you do VO infrequently, but you want a good mic that is a jack of all trades (and still master of all :D ) give the Sennheiser MD421 a closer look.
It has been one of my staple workhorses for decades now. Great on all kinds of instruments, vocals, voices, with a 5-step high-pass filter.

Hope this helps more than it confuses the choices :D

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
B&H sells the Beta58a for $159.00 and the SM58 for $99.00. The Beta 58 is Supercardioid and has an extended frequency response to 16kHz vs the SM's 15Khz. The Beta also has lower noise and higher gain before feedback which is good in a live setting. The Beta has a blue ring around the ball. I have a few of each and prefer the Beta 58.
Oops. My mistake. I was thinking of the "cheap" 58 that I bought a few years ago for a non-critical project at work. It's the PG58, not the Beta 58A.

http://www.stofflermusik.ch/prodimages/mi_pg58_xl.jpg

You can get one with the cable for $60, or three PG58s for $130.

Please reapply my comments about the Beta 58A to the PG58...
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Well, in the meantime, before I get my SM58, I made an impulse purchase on eBAY and picked-up a refurbished
"iRiver IFP890 256M MP3 Player." Not much memory and I understand it only records in stereo, but guess what? It was worth $10.50 to me. Maybe it will be the best ten bucks I spend for my production needs---who knows.
The seller had a 99.8% rating with over 24,000 transactions, so I rolled the dice on it.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio