Microphone for interviews for HDR-HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Tourist

Microphone for interviews for HDR-HC1

I'm new to DV and I'm currently trying to put my first short piece together. I have a Sony HDR-HC1 for now, outfitted with a Rode Videomic. I need to do some interviews, though, and I understand the Videomic isn't right for that.

So, I'm looking for a decent solution. Some more background: the camera doesn't have the so-called XLR connection, but just a little microphone jack; I'm doing journalism work; I'd like to be able to use the microphone on a future upgraded camera as well; my work will be mostly in Europe and the Middle East.

With that in mind:
- what is a good, affordable, sturdy and reliable microphone that would fit this camera and a later more professional camera?
- how much cable do I realistically need to have?
- should I change the camera's audio settings when I do interviews?

Thanks
John van Rosendaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am not familiar with your mic, but if you have paid £100 pluss for it it will be a lot better than your onboard.
Should u be working with a film crew, most people use a directional mic on a pole, with a rycotte type cover on it. So that tells me that it must be the best. However as a one man bandit u probably want a directional mic on your cam, with a wind rycotte style wind guard on.
If the intervews are extended interviews rather than on the spot, you could use a tie clip, ot even normal mic (if it fits the programme your making). This could run direct to a mini disk you put in the interviewees pocket. Then you have 2 audio sources to play with should one go wrong.
With reference to audio levels, you can use auto. But i did this and found that after ten minutes,the sound levels were to high, and most of the sound i had was clipped out, or distorted.
best thing to do is keep an eye on your cameras audio levels, there should be one on the minidisk 2. mines a cheap sharp oneand its great as controls are all on front, including audio levels, and its easy to adjust.
Basically check them, or even get interviewee to talk briefly, and ajust if their voice is hitting the top of the scale.
Thing to watch for is that some people talk louder than others, and others talk very loud and then go quiet in the same sentence! My advice would be to use manual, and make it part of your everyday practice to test audio levels, and adjust them for just as you would focus, or exposure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio