XH-A1 audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

XH-A1 audio

I have a Mackie Onyx satellite system. It has 2 1/4" balanced outputs. I can control the mike gain and the output via separate pots.

If I connect this output via 1/4 to xlr adapters to the line in on my canon XH-A1, the canon tech guy says the phantom power in the camera will be disconnected. He says this is the same thing as the built-in camera preamps.

I'm going to try this to see if the audio sounds any better. What level should I set the mike preamp to? -15db, according to the Mackie guy, at least when using it with a computer. I can control the level to the camera with the output control. Where do I set the level on the cameras sound level meters?

I'm not quite sure how this actually works?

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; February 28th, 2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: to clarify
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Larry,
I have an A1 too. Great cam, never regret getting it.

About the levels, you most likely mean the output levels of the Mackie.
Well, the Mackie guy is right IF you record to computer for music apps.
But in Video, I would be a bit more cautious and go for -20 to 18. This works better in my experience. You got more headroom to absorp unforseen spikes.

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio