Cable Question in connecting mixer to soundcard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cable Question in connecting mixer to soundcard

In order to connect my mixer (Tapco Mix.60), I need to use TRS cables out to my line-in on my soundcard (on the PC). That means I need one cable: two male 1/4-inch ends (for the mixer's Left/Right main out) to one male 1/8-inch to go in the soundcard input. I can't seem to find something like this at Radio Shack, etc. What specifically is this cable I need called?

Thanks.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There no name for such a cable, other than a "patch" cable. But that's generic, and doesn't describe the specifics.

You might need a combination of cables and adapters to get from here to there.

BTW, the TRS output is balanced, but the 1/8" input is unbalanced. The bottom line is that standard Tip-Sleeve 1/4" connectors will do the trick. Just keep the cable as short as possible to avoid hum.

You might consider upgrading your soundcard. Both the M-Audio Audiophile 192 and the Echo Audio MIA MIDI cards have 1/4" TRS balanced inputs. I've used both and they sound much better than typical PC soundcards. They're not boutique A/Ds though. Sky's the limit on those.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. I was concerned that there was such a thing as a "Y" cable---one that has two 1/4-inch males on one end.

Dale
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Nicholson View Post
In order to connect my mixer (Tapco Mix.60), I need to use TRS cables out to my line-in on my soundcard (on the PC). That means I need one cable: two male 1/4-inch ends (for the mixer's Left/Right main out) to one male 1/8-inch to go in the soundcard input. I can't seem to find something like this at Radio Shack, etc. What specifically is this cable I need called?

Thanks.
Your mixer's main output can be connected to either a balanced or unbalanced line. What you need is called a 'Y' cable, dual 1/4 male TS to 3.5mm stereo TRS. Something like this one from Hosa would do the trick, probably available from B&H, Full Compass, or Markertek.
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/product...3_cmp-159.html

You could also use the tape in and out connectors with RCA to 3.5 stereo cables ...
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/cmr-200.html
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks! That's the one.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio