Has anyone ever tried using one of the stereo PZM microphones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone ever tried using one of the stereo PZM microphones?

While looking around for a boundary mics, I found that Crown now has a stereo version, the Crown SASS-P MK II. It's one weird-looking microphone.

I'm curious if anyone has tried this sort of mic for ambience or dialog recording.

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

My 2 cents, though probably not much help...

The Crown mic is a bit out of my present price range, however I do have an A-T 849 stereo boundary mic. While I don't consider myself a "sound engineer", and I have only used it a handful of times, I've been more than satisfied with the results thus far. My major concerns when using it are: 1) remembering that it uses 2 XLR plugs, thus reducing the number of available jacks on whichever mixer I'm plugging-in to, and 2) I've read that PZM mics need a base/sounding board of at least 1 square meter (preferably round) in order to do their best job. While seldom a problem on a stage, that can be a lot of real estate on a desk or tabletop.

I've used it for a few interviews. Biggest problem I've noticed is that of "table noise", i.e. when the mic is on a desk or table and the interviewee is in contact with the desk or table. It will often pick up all the "friction noice" so I try to keep the interviewee away from all furniture except their chair, though that's not always comfortable/practical for them.

While it's not the best for every situation, I like the 849's low profile, pickup, and sensitivity. (But, to reiterate, I consider myself less than a novice when it comes to audio and sound). Hope for someone more knowledgeable than me to weigh in with their experience.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks much, Denis. . . I considered your input very helpful!
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Major Player

There are Crown mic and RS boundary mic samples we took at a conference last year which you can find at http://10squaredcorp.com/microphones/microphones.html. They include L-R stereo comparisons with lavs. May not be the same quality as you are currently considering, but may give you a feel for what to expect.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Major Player

I have used the Crown SASS-P MK II, though it's been about 14 years. My college was in the same county as Crown's headquarters and thus got a lot of donated equipment. I found that the stereo image was extremely realistic. When listening on headphones I could practically place where things were coming from. So it would be great for ambient recording, not so good for dialogue since it captures a lot of the room tone and ambient noise.

Size would be an issue for me with this mic. I'd rather have a small portable M-S microphone like the Shure VP88 for ambient recording.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Tourist

The Crown SASS does create a great stereo image. I have found
that when recording a small orchestra the front center section was
a little weak such that I would add a center fill.

At the beach it is far less sensitive to wind than traditional mics.
Henry Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio