Need advice feeding field recorder to a DAT back up recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice feeding field recorder to a DAT back up recorder

I can't believe it but I got hired for another sound gig. This time there is one scene where it will be impossible to run audio from the mixer into the camera, so I will have to rely only of the use a DAT recorder.

I guess I will simply take my two XLR out puts from the mixer and plug them into the DAT recorder. I believe it will be an old Tascam DA-P1. Since I am such a newbie, I would not even get into the whole TimeCode debate, I will just rely on the slate clap to synch it in post later.

For the more traditional interior scenes I would like to just feed the audio to the camera from the mixer. But the director asked me if I can also do a back up on DAT now when we have the DAT recorder.

So my new question: how do I do that? Since I would still like to run 2 XLR input from mixer to camera and then also to the DAT recorder? Is there a special cable or do I have to choose between either the camera or the DAT?

Best regards,
Thomas
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

First thing is to check the output options on your mixer. What are you using? Does it only have stereo outputs or can you also output directly from the channels, additional busses or aux sends? Perhaps there are also duplicate stereo outputs on 1/4" jacks?

Failing this (and without hiring a 4 bus desk) you could split the output signal from the desk by using a passive splitter - I think they're about $30-40 per channel. Using a 'Y' adapter would share/reduce the signal after the fact, so a splitter is preferrable.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Found a copy of the DAT recorder's manual online and it says it has -10dBV line inputs on RCA jacks as well as +4dBU line inputs switchable with the mic level input on the XLRs. You didn't say what mixer you had but many mixers have a -10dBV 'tape out' connector as well as the XLR main outs. If your's does, send the mixer XLR main outs to the camera and the 'tape outs' to the RCA jack 'line in' on the DAT. Be sure to align both the camera and the DAT recording levels with tone from the mixer and use the mixer to adjust gain during the take.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I forgot to mention which mixer I will be using. The truth is that I don't know. It is either going to be a SQN 5S or a Sound Devices 422 or 302. But the production hasn't told me which one they rented. My guess is that it will be a SQN 5S since there are so many around.

I guess if I there is a splitter in the sound kit rented I can back up on DAT otherwise I will go either directly to DAT or to camera.

Thanks for your feed back. I really appreciate it!!
Thomas
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The Sound Devices mixers definitely have the -10dBV line outs as well as the XLR outs, feed the tape out to the DAT recorder and you're golden. I'm pretty sure the SQN does too but I'm not certain. A google should turn up its manual but I don't have time at the moment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio