Filtering out motor noise - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
not even close by half.... Try them side by side, you'll quickly grasp the diff.
It worked great at the Apple demo at last year's NAB, but that's my only exposure to it. (I don't own a Mac.) Glad to hear that the SF9 solution is among the best...
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jon Fairhurst;665804]If it's a repetitive noise, such as 60 Hz hum, the most effective way to get rid of it is to sample a noise-only segment, invert it, loop it and add it to the original in just the right amount. If there was any automatic or manual gain adjustment during recording, it will take some time to match that. You can then use a noise reduction program to get rid of the residual. QUOTE]

So when you say add it to the original do you mean layer it in the timeline or something else? I am very interested in this technique but not quite clear as to how to do it...I am really bad at getting good sound quality and need lots of help.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Cool Edit Pro which is the ancestor of Adobe Audition will also effectively remove noise by the sampling and inversion function.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks View Post
So when you say add it to the original do you mean layer it in the timeline or something else?
Yes. Simply invert the signal, add it to a new track on the timeline, adjust the timing so the phase is properly aligned, and mix the levels until the noise is cancels itself.

Best of luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio