Audio Issue - Sennheiser EW100G2 Wirelss Lav at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Audio Issue - Sennheiser EW100G2 Wirelss Lav

Using a Sennheiser EW100G2 wireless lav I get an occasional static build and then the audio cuts out.

I've only had this with the lav and not the hand held base so I think the issue is transmitter rather than the receiver.

It's fairly infrequent, never happens more than once during a shoot regardless of duration and often not at all.

It sounds as if it were some sort of rf interference causing the squelch to kill the audio. It then recuperates without further issue.

I always scan for clear channels before a shoot and this never happens with the hand held base transmitter.

Is there a technical issue with the wireless lav? Is it more sensitive to rf interference than the base? Something else?

I'm attaching a wmv 18 seconds so you can hear the issue from start to finish.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv AudioIssue.wmv (286.7 KB, 201 views)
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Using a Sennheiser EW100G2 wireless lav I get an occasional static build and then the audio cuts out.

I've only had this with the lav and not the hand held base so I think the issue is transmitter rather than the receiver.

It's fairly infrequent, never happens more than once during a shoot regardless of duration and often not at all.

It sounds as if it were some sort of rf interference causing the squelch to kill the audio. It then recuperates without further issue.

I always scan for clear channels before a shoot and this never happens with the hand held base transmitter.

Is there a technical issue with the wireless lav? Is it more sensitive to rf interference than the base? Something else?

I'm attaching a wmv 18 seconds so you can hear the issue from start to finish.
I've actually had this problem once or twice on a shoot I was doing in DC. It was an outdoor shoot, and I really wasn't sure what was going on whether it was distance from the transmitter issue or what, but moving closer and changing to a different frequency helped.

How are you mounting the transmitter onto the speaker? Are you following the tips like in the manual? Antenna not touching skin, lav wire not crossing the antenna, etc.? Have you tried using the same frequency as the handheld at the time?
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I was about 10-15 feet from the speaker. It was the only wireless mic in use.
The transmitter was located in a coat pocket. Of course a frequency can appear clean at the start of a shoot and then develop a problem when some other person nearby starts using something that can hit the frequency.

The odd thing is that this only happens when using the lav and not the hand held mic base. Just a coincidence.
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The supplied hot-shoe mount for the receiver will position it horizontally on the camera. It needs to be vertical for best performance - this really makes a difference!
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Interesting but I've never had this issue with the hand held base and the receiver is positioned the same way (horizontally). Coincidence . . . or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
The supplied hot-shoe mount for the receiver will position it horizontally on the camera. It needs to be vertical for best performance - this really makes a difference!
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

mic cable attached properly?

the only time i've heard that, the mic plug was not seated properly in the transmitter input.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

But you'd think it would happen more often than once on a given shoot. Also note how the noise level builds rather than sudden as if it were tied to movement. The cut to silence seems very much like the squelch circuit turning on because it no longer sees the transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Schocken View Post
the only time i've heard that, the mic plug was not seated properly in the transmitter input.
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

it's strange, no doubt

but what i heard on that clip was exactly the same. i can remember hearing it in the field initially, figuring it was some kind of interference, then when i heard it a second time, i checked connections, and the cable wasn't locked in. after that, no problems.
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ok, i take it back :)

i just went back and found the clip i was referring to, and the static does not drop out cleanly like yours does. sounds like a different issue.
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For my clip, it sounds like squelch kicking in so the receiver is "hearing" the problem and at least "thinks" is losing the RF from the transmitter . . . my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Schocken View Post
i just went back and found the clip i was referring to, and the static does not drop out cleanly like yours does. sounds like a different issue.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well, that sure sounds like a classic RF dropout.

I've heard two things, one that both antennae should be in a vertical position, and that both should be in the same orientation.

You can also adjust the squelch one notch back.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Today I had a corporate shoot that lasted 8 hours with the featured speaker on my wireless lav the entire time (changed batteries once). I had no issue at all (except for his habit of clicking his pen next to the lav) and it was in a situation where I thought an RF was likely . . . hotel business conference room in which every other room in the floor was also in use.

Did my usual setup, scanned to make sure I had a clear channel and placed the transmitter in his jacket inner pocket and mounted the receiver on the camera shoe.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio