Wireless Mic Freq Used By Internet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Mic Freq Used By Internet

I recently heard that a bill has been introduced that would auction frequencies from 54 to 698MHz to broad band internet providers and if this happens it will make these frequencies useless for wireless microphone systems operating in those freq. I know very little about wireless so have come to the experts for a little advise. My questions are:

1. Have you heard about this, are these facts accurate, and how likely is it to happen?

2. I just bought a system that uses the 626-662HMz range. Should I take it back and trade for a system that operates in the 740-776MHz range?

3. Are there other pros or cons that I should consider?

Thank you
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

It's actually a bit more dismal that that. Not only is spectrum going to broad band internet, but Digital Television (DTV), and public safety (police, fire, amulance, etc) are all moving into the 500-800 Mhz bands traditionally used by wireless microphones. I have not yet seen a clear discussion about what this may mean to the average wireless user. The stuff I've read is all over the charts from: "it's going to be harder to find clear frequencies" to "all wireless units will be useless" to "buy our stuff because it's immune to all this".

At this point, I don't think there's enough information to make an intelligent choice. I probably wouldn't return the units you have (assuming you like them otherwise), since I don't think you are guaranteed safe by going to the higher frequency band (some things I've read indicate that they will be the bands with the most competition). There's been a lot of discussion about this topic on the R.A.M.P.S. usenet group, and a Google search will return a fair amount of information.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio