Akg Se 300b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Akg Se 300b

I am interested in these mic systems. It seems more economical for the quality then buying separate mics. How do they compare to others for the price such as Sennheiser and AT? Being in Alaska, I can't just go to NYC and test them out.

I need a stereo pair, so my thought was to go modular if it is clean enough and then get a good shotgun and hyper for the cost of the capsules.

In other threads, it looks as though people are interested in the Blue Line but usually buy something else. Were buying decisions based on $$$ or that this mic occupies the middle ground that is too expensive for the masses (Rode seems to fill this niche well recently) but not good enough for the big budget buyers?

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why do you need a stereo pair?

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

live music and theatre. Some local venues have unreliable house systems to tap into, so I would prefer to bypass. I've never done M/S, but it has caught my interest. Maybe I should go that route instead of a matched pair.

Most of the time I freelance whatever I have time to do, which doesn't require a stereo recording, just a shotgun or a hyper, which is why I'm interested in the Blue Line.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I recently bought one with the ck 93 hyper capsule and am quite happy with the sound. It may not be as sensitive as the schoeps, but for the price... it'll do until the inevitable upgrade.
Jon
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lange View Post
live music and theatre. Some local venues have unreliable house systems to tap into, so I would prefer to bypass. I've never done M/S, but it has caught my interest. Maybe I should go that route instead of a matched pair.

Most of the time I freelance whatever I have time to do, which doesn't require a stereo recording, just a shotgun or a hyper, which is why I'm interested in the Blue Line.
I use Schoeps supercardioids because their pattern is tight enough to ignore a lot of room sound. The cmc641 is a little expensive, but a little different than most and that difference is worth the price.

The AT 4053a are a 2nd cousin.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The Blueline is a wonderfull system for all manner of recording, certainly for loaction recording I wouldn't dare not have a couple in my kit, buy and you'll be forever glad you have them.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm a big fan of the Blueline. We use it alongside a Schoeps, and it matches seamlessly in many environments (to my ears). The difference mainly becomes apparent in very bright rooms. It's not as forgiving off axis either.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Marco-
Is the unforgiving off-axis coloration (I assume) more distinct with a particular capsule such as the CK 93 hyper or with all of them? My guess would be that the CK 91 cardioid is a little more forgiving and the CK 92 omni is most forgiving.

Ty-
Yes, the Shoeps C6U with MK41 in my kit be fantastic. That mic will be there when I need it. Have you been able to do a test between the AT4053a and the AKG SE 300b - CK 93?
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Well, the pattern on the CK91 is obviously wider, so I guess in that sense you could look at it as being more even. For what its worth (not much) on the published specs the CK93 has a flatter frequency response and the AT4053 has a better pattern. I don't know how much, if any, differnce it really makes to tell you the truth. I wouldn't stress over this decision too much. I think you'll be happy with either mic.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio