Best Wind Protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Best Wind Protection

I am searching for the best wind protection for a shotgun microphone (AT835ST, if it matters) mounted on-camera, ENG style. This means the zeppelin-style full enclosure windshield is not an option. Note that I live in Europe, where relative pricing is not the same as in the US: the Lightwave products here seem to be significantly less expensive than the Rycote.

The application is mostly action shots, snowboarding and some skateboarding, mainly shot on a tripod.

Here is where I need advice: between the three following setups, which one would give me the best protection and versatility:
- Rycote Softie (140 euro)
- Lightwave Equalizer (90 euro)
- Lightwave Miniscreen (90 euro) + MiniSock (37 euro)

I admit to be tempted to the Miniscreen/MiniSock combo as it seems to be the closest to the concept of a front-end-only zeppelin (not expecting anything as good as result, though) and I can always add the MiniWindmaster fur cover later. Any comments from users would be most welcome, especially if you have compared hands-on these systems.

Also, I have read comments in other threads leading me to further ask if the "support disc system" of the Lightwave products works well?

Thank you,
---
Fred
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Getting space between the mic and the filter results in the best reduction. The hair is OK, but not as important as the space.

I'd advise you to contact k-tek in California. They have a way of coming up with solutions that might even allow you to blimpify your camera-mounted mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS; "Blimpify" is a copyrighted term owned by Ty Ford and Technique, Inc. a US Corporation TIN #52-1912506. Use of the term in any manner written or spoken, unless licensed by Technique, Inc, is strictly forbidden. Violators will be prosecuted.
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's really not difficult to mount a full rycote on a camera, wouldn't be suitable for an 835ST but a smaller mic like an Ambient tiny mic and a smaller blimp work fine, I mounted mine using a AT bracket and an Ambient hot shoe plate.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Try this one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...indscreen.html

really good wind AND RAIN resistance. you can add the dead cat over it if you need more.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Frederic,

I have an AT835ST and the lightwave miniscreen. It works well inside and also outside with a full fur cover - so I would go for the last option. Have to agree with Ty (who is almost always the best advice on audio) - the dead space around the mic is critical to good wind isolation, but the miniscreen is not good outside without a fur cover. Just one word of warning - the prescribed miniscreen is a tight fit on the AT835ST - which is good for isolation as it seals off the diaphragms - but it is a little difficult to get on and off. Fits better on my Senn MKH416.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio