Cleaning Up On Board Mic Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Cleaning Up On Board Mic Audio

I shot some camera tests that I am not using for the final production, but camer out extremely well. I used the on board mic for the audio, and of course, it sounds horrible.

Anyone have any tips for cleaning it up a bit digitally? THere is a fair amoung of ambient noise around as the Canon XL1S stock microphone is want to do. In fact, like people have said, you often can hear whats going on behind the mike, better than whats in front of it! THe only audio program I have is Sound Forge.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

The great thing about sound forge, is the ability to bring video in, and alter only the audio. It is possible to change stereo channel levels to enhance the target audio. There are also a plethora of plugin filters for sound forge, that can clean up hiss and pops, as well as other problems.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I recommend Sonic Foundry's noise reduction plug-in.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

if u intend on using soundforge, I would also suggest you grab yourslf some filter plugins, such as hyperprisms set and TCNative mastering EQ's.
SOundforge is brilliant with DX Effects, and u can also use VST adapters which allow you to run a VST Plugin in a Direct X environment. Some of Steinbergs plugs are quite extraordinary and the best thing about VST is that you can find THOUSANDS of tehm for free.. most of them are made by hobbyists :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio