Fostex FR2/Canon XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fostex FR2/Canon XHA1

Can I use the Fostex FR2 as a 'mixer'? Basically I have shure 2 channel mixer and it's dead so the soundman needs something to monitor/mix the sound with into my Canon XHA1.....
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The FR2's pre-amps are pretty good and has the usual gain trims and can supply phantom to the mic. It has a phono line-out. Depending on what inputs your cam has the FR2 could perhaps do the job, but it's not strictly the right tool for the job. Beware: this thing absolutely eats batteries be they alkaline or rechargeables. You'll get half a day (3 - 4 hours) out of a set of batteries using the power saving mode, if your lucky.

HTH.
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Major Player

It is possible to connect FR-2 between the mics and camera, but setting the individual levels is not possible on the run as the pots are cocentric and small. Thus it is not a real replacement for a true mixer. And the cable is not balanced.

Fostex sell a connection cable for a large (and cheap) battery you have to buy separatelly from a hobby shop (radio controll toy car battery). That shoud feed the FR-2 for a day or two.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. Does anyone know where I could get the battery cable from in the UK? The FR2 is VERY power hungry!
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kay View Post
Thanks. Does anyone know where I could get the battery cable from in the UK? The FR2 is VERY power hungry!
check external batteries for laptops /dvd
these usially have 12-16 v out
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You can get the aux. battery cable from fostex, but don't expect wonders. The 7.2 batteries only last for a couple of hours at the most.
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I use a Tekkeon myPower external battery with my FR2. I forget where I bought it or how much it cost (about 50UKP perhaps), but google is your friend. It will run just shy of a production day on this battery (the internal batteries finish off the day). If you do use this battery you'll also need to custom order the FR2 adapter direct from Tekkeon since it doesn't ship in the default selection.

http://www.tekkeon.com/site/products...apt.php#Fostex

HTH
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio