ME66, internal battery, 12 or 48V? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 11th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ME66, internal battery, 12 or 48V?

The MM-1 preamp can supply phantom power from its two AA batteries.
It can supply either 12V or 48V with 10mA (I can imagine that using the 48V would impact the battery life).

I'm interested by removing the AA battery of the ME66 power module (another battery not to think about). So I have the choice between 12V and 48V.

What would you suggest ? Or should I stay with the internal battery ?

Dany
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Warden

Generally speaking you get slightly higher performance from the higher voltage. However, that slight performance advantage would be lost if you're recording to mini DV. If it were DAT, that would be a different case.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Why would it be a "different case"? Both can record 16bit, 48kHz. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one compared to the other?

http://www.landsendproductions.com
Bruce Findleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

DAT and MD can record Line levels but GL2 only Mic levels but from what I've heard it shouldn't make a difference.
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Warden

A few DAT recorders do 24bit sound. But even the 16bit recorders have higher S/N ratio and dynamic range than DV. DV audio is PCM, but the implementation of it by the camera manufactures results in lower quality audio recording. After all a portable DAT recorder is more expensive than most of the mini DV cameras on the market.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

How would you rate a Sony TCD-D7 or D8 DAT prosumer recorder compared to the miniDV ?
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Warden

Just about any DAT recorder will out perform a mini DV camera in my opinion. However, how you tweak the audio after acquisition has a great deal to do with your final output. Any project that requires superb audio, I take my original audio files to a recording studio for sweetening.

Today, I think the DVX100 has one of the best audio sections in a mini DV camera, I've heard. The XL1S would be second.

Old May 30th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Just got my MM-1 .... beautiful !

I made some tests and found out that powering the mike using the internal battery of the ME66 generated more noise thant using the 12V from MM-1. Anyway I wanted to used the Phantom from the MM-1 so I don't need to monitor the ME-66's battery !
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio