Recording directly from soundboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording directly from soundboard

I hope this is in the right section, for those of you that video concerts or live music perfomances. Do you capture your audio with a audio recorder of some sort to where you plug into the soundboard or do you just use your camcorder to capture all the audio? I was looking at purchasing some type of audio recorder to make sure to get a good audio recording. Let me know what type of setup you have. I'm using vx2100's.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2
Major Player

I use an iriver 795 to do exactly that. I either plug in to the line out or the head phone jack depending on what is available. I always have backup audio just in case something goes wrong at the board.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I currently use irivers for mic-ing the groom. What settings do you use when you use the iriver for recording from the soundboard?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #4
Major Player

My experiences are mostly with camcorders or firld recorders with balaced inputs - no problem recording from mixing console provided that you are fed the right mix for your film. Used either balances cable or balances wireless.

But I have occasionally gotten decent results with a Sennheiser SKP100 wireless plug-on plugged directly into the mixing console and an EK100 receiver jack-plugged into a Sony DCR-PC110 DV Handycam.

An acquaintance, who is also a musician, uses an Edirol R-09 to his satisfaction - I thing you can plug in an unbalances stereo mic. And it's really inexpensive. If you use an independent device of this MP3-type, you cannot sync the sound, so do use a clap whenever possible.

You could also use one of these wonderful Sonosax 1-channel boom preamps, but they are not easy to find and cost almost as much as a small protable field mixer/recorder like the Edirol R-4 which is super value. Make sure that anything you buy can emit a test signal, e.g. -9dB. And if you can switch off the auto-level on your cam, do so !
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez View Post
I hope this is in the right section, for those of you that video concerts or live music perfomances. Do you capture your audio with a audio recorder of some sort to where you plug into the soundboard or do you just use your camcorder to capture all the audio? I was looking at purchasing some type of audio recorder to make sure to get a good audio recording. Let me know what type of setup you have. I'm using vx2100's.
"Concerts and live music performances" covers a broad range, while "good audio recording" is also pretty broad. Good for what? Broadcast, DVD-A release, audition and promo materials for the band, what? If "good audio recording" means equivalent to what you see/hear when you tune in to PBS's "Austin City Limits" you'll need far more than if you're micing the groom at a wedding.
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

I have had good results using a whirlwind direct2 box to connect from a sound board to my recorder. mostly to isolate the two pieces of equipment from each other and still get the signal (also an easy pad)... 1/4" inputs and XLR out

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/dirbox.html
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Each board calls for different settings.

I switch the iriver to line in and use headphones to adjust the level on the iriver. I use either the best mono or stereo settings depending on the gig.
I do a test recording and play it back using the headphones. I set the level a little low do avoid clipping.

If I use the headphone out jack, I do the same thing but use the headphone volume to adjust the level for the iriver which is set around 36.

I find at wedding receptions that this technique has advantages and disadvantages. The sound is sterile and missing the life that is present at a reception, but the toast and speeches mix well into the edit. I like to have as many options as I can for editing, so it the end it is bonus even if a few parts of the iriver recording are used.

Some DJ's refuse me hookup to their board or screw up the sound somehow, so there can be problems.

There is also audio drift every 12 minutes, but this is easily fixed in post.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio