Audio Technica: AT25 and AT55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 17th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Technica: AT25 and AT55

Morning all. I am simply inq if anyone has experience with these mics at all. A friend of mine is going to recieve her FX7 this week and is looking for a dedicated inexpensive microphone. I have an Azden SGM-X also which is a bit bassy, so I don't really want to recommend this one to her. But both of the mics are very inexpensive at a local retailer. If they sound better than the Azden also, I may pick up one myself(I most use the Azden now when I am shooting something outside. Anything else, I pretty much use wireless or wired lavaliers).. Any input is always welcome and thanks in advance!!!

Damon
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I had the ATR55 for a day and I hated it. I would recommend the Røde NTG-1 or NTG-2. The ATR55 that I used had a really weak output, but it picked up a lot of the camera noise and handling noise.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A "dedicated microphone" for what purpose? A news standup takes a different mic than small instrumental group recording which takes a different mic from dramatic dialog. So what's she shooting?
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Just pretty much general shooting at the moment. We are and have been doing weddings, parties and things of that nature. We depend for the majority of the audio on my wireless setup, but she would like an inexpensive mike for say when she shoots her practice shots, home videos, or reven "ambience" sound depending on what we shoot. Also since its the season, we are shooting radio controlled events, so more ambient is good..

But those types of things.

And I really was considering the Rhode not only for her setup but as a replacement for my Azden. But for her, money at the moment is limited, and I think honestly for myself, I am going to try the Beachtek/XLR route..
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Major Player

For ambience, you might want to try the Røde Stereo VideoMic. The original VideoMic is also a good inexpensive shotgun.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
And I really was considering the Rhode not only for her setup but as a replacement for my Azden. But for her, money at the moment is limited, and I think honestly for myself, I am going to try the Beachtek/XLR route..
The Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2 mics are balanced XLR outputs so it's not an either or thing with them or the Beachtek - if you use one of those Rodes, you'll need an XLR adapter. As previously mentioned, the Rode VideoMic (mono) or Stereo VideoMic are both good pieces of kit worth considering and they use conventional (for consumer gear) 1/8 mini plugs on their cables.
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you for the input guys...

Steve: I appreciate the input, but for myself, I was saying that I "am" going to go the Beachtek/XLR route. I am not sure what mic, but the Beachtek would only be in my case as the FX7 has audio level control, be adventageous if I were using XLR microphones. At least in my case. I would see no reason to put the beachtek on if I were not going to go with a XLR mic.. So I guess, I alredy knew its not an "either/or"... Thanks,

Damon
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio