question for sennheiser users ew100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #1
Major Player

question for sennheiser users ew100

I've been using my ew100 to send the signal for the photo montages. I recognized that the 1/8'' cable to RCA cable I use only sends the signal mono. I notice it's because the cable does not fit all the way in. What is the way around this? To get the signal to send stereo? Is the only option to use the supplied 1/8" to 1/8" and get a 1/8" to RCA converter? Or is there a special cable for this?

Thanks
Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
I've been using my ew100 to send the signal for the photo montages. I recognized that the 1/8'' cable to RCA cable I use only sends the signal mono. I notice it's because the cable does not fit all the way in. What is the way around this? To get the signal to send stereo? Is the only option to use the supplied 1/8" to 1/8" and get a 1/8" to RCA converter? Or is there a special cable for this?

Thanks
Monday
Your problem is not that the cable isn't plugging in all the way. The mic outputs a mono signal only, period. Although the TRS plugs on the 1/8" cable supplied with the receiver are the type that are often used for stereo, on this particular cable only the tip (left channel) is connected, the ring (right channel) connection is left floating or shorted to ground. A 1/8 stereo to dual RCA converter won't help either as it connects tip to white (L) RCA and ring to red (R) RCA. Since the ring isn't connected to signal at all anywhere along the line, your right channel will still be dead. What you would need is a mono 1/8 to dual-mono RCA Y cable or adapter but splitting the receiver output like that could compromise the audio quality depending on what you're plugging it into.

What are you connecting the mic into? More detail on your complete audio chain from start to end would be helpful.
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Weddings / Events to Now Hear This.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
What are you connecting the mic into? More detail on your complete audio chain from start to end would be helpful.
Thanks Steve for your explanation, that explains a lot of this for me. What happens is the mic input is plugged in to the dvd player by rca to 1/8", the AF Out is plugged into the DJ RCA inputs. That's the connection process. I have 1 RCA to 1/8" y mono cable. If I had two of these that would resolve this situation?
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Steve for your explanation, that explains a lot of this for me. What happens is the mic input is plugged in to the dvd player by rca to 1/8", the AF Out is plugged into the DJ RCA inputs. That's the connection process. I have 1 RCA to 1/8" y mono cable. If I had two of these that would resolve this situation?
Essentially, to convert for stereo you need a Y designed to take a 1/8 TS mono signal and split it in parallel onto 2 parallel RCA's. The problem is that most readily avaiable Y cables are designed to take a 1/8 TRS stereo and put the left channel on one RCA and the right channel on the other so your first task is to figure out just what "flavour" of Y cable you have, 1/8 stereo to RCA stereo or 1/8 mono to dual RCA.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Steve,
I do have 1 1/8" mono to dual rca inputs, so I'll purchase another one of those then. Take Care, thanks for your time and help

Monday
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Whoa! The mic input is plugged into the DVD player???? So you're connecting the DVD players output to the transmitter and the receiver's AF Out to the DJ's board to give you a wireless hop between the DVD player and the PA system???? If that's the case there are other considerations beside a cable adapter.
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, Steve that is 100% correct, that is how I'm feeding the audio to the DJ. What are the other considerations? Thanks
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes, Steve that is 100% correct, that is how I'm feeding the audio to the DJ. What are the other considerations? Thanks
The biggest one is I'm sure the DVD player is putting out its signal at consumer line level, -10dBv nominal. You need to make sure that the audio input of the transmitter is set to line level and adjust its sensitivity to mate with the DVD player's output.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Got ya, I usually set it to -30db on the mic / 1/8" input and adjust if need be. For this portion of the job. Thanks for your help Steve.

Monday
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #11
Major Player

what would be much better is to go and purchas a small live sound mixer to be able to attach to other people's stuff. There are some really small 2 channel ones that you can get for under $50.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Major Player

I understand but Cables still need to be run across the room either way. I prefer the wireless system as it eliminates the cable and the problem of cable damage for now.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio