Studio mic - input needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Studio mic question

Hi, I am new to the forums and would like to get some input on a microphone I recently aquired. I am currently using the PD150 and shoot mostly studio & indoor shots and an occasional outdoor shoot.

Are there any problems using a mic of this type? Any help would be appreciated.

Below are the specs.

The mic is a MXL 1006 Studio mic.

Type: Condenser pressure gradient w/ 25mm diaphragm

Frequency range: 30 Hz - 20 kHz

Pattern: Cardioid

Impedance: 200

S/N Ratio: 80 dB

Equivalent Noise Level: 130 dB

Power requirements: 48v Phantom

Mic came with shock mount, tri-pod stand and boom pole.

Thanks....
Terry McGleish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Wrangler

For what purpose?
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:44 AM   #3
Tourist

Re: Studio mic question

Hi Terry,

welcome, i'm new as well, but couldn't resist reacting :).

First off: that's a pretty neat microphone you bought there, but is usually used more in studios than outside, and for vocal production it's used for relatively close micing and wouldn't necissarily be a first choice for booming/outside work.

As for outside use i don't think i could stress the fact that large diaphragm microphones are very prone to moisture related problems (or as i call it: challenges ;)). Keep it in a box with those gelpacks that suck up moisture after use.

Also beware when using it on a boom pole that it is a pretty directional microphone, so use it on-axis on the subject. Even a shockmount absorbes low frequency up to a certain point. Wind and other (low frequency) stuff are attention points to possible (overload) problems due to the build and nature of the mic and the large diaphragm...

The biggest problem will probably (depending on what you use it for) be it's relatively sensitivity... you will be hearing everything in front of the mic. These mics can also facility short-loud transient noises that a lot of other mics might not pickup, so make a test run and take care of not overloading the audio on tape (digital is a killer ;)).

If you are doing wedding videos, put it as close as you can to the object you wish to film (the vicar/the tobewedded people or even the snoring guy in the back).

My advise is to make a couple of test runs and i'd wish you good luck! :)... Keep us posted on your advance....
Bart de Nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Mic test results

Hey Mike & Bart, I did get a chance to test the mic this week. It seems to be very sensitive in studio situations. I have had to have the talent back away approx. 2 ft. from the mic to get the best results.

I tried it outdoors with a windscreen in little or no wind, but the mic seemed to be too sensitive and picked up even the slightest wind noise.

Answer to Mikes question: I shoot mainly in studio instructional videos. Most of the stuff is animal related so I do need to get some outdoor stuff occasionally. I'm not sure what the mic was designed for, but was hoping I could use it at least in studio situations.

The mic, shock mount, tri-pod stand and boom pole were picked up relatively cheap ($25.00 for all) so I could'nt pass it up.

Any ideas which might make this mic more usable, (ie..audio settings, mic covers, ect..) ? It would be nice to get at least some use out of it, even though it did'nt cost me much.

Thanks, Terry
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:53 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Hey Terry- Where did you get that setup? I want one!
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM   #6
New Boot

I picked it up locally from a friend who had no use for it. I guess I got lucky.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:41 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Wanna sell it?
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio