Rode Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode Video

I'm currently looking for an improvement for the audio on my Canon GL-2.
For budgetary reasons I feel attracted the most to the Rode Videomic collection. This way I needn't convert any connectors or use an adapter of any kind (GL-2 only offers jack connection straight from the box). A few questions before rushing to the store though:

1. Is using an external mic (on board camera) a great improvement on the implented on-board-mic? (aside of using it on a boompole)

2. I wish to make an investment that lasts a while; Why would I choose the somewhat more expensive Rode Stereo Mic over the (mono) Rode Videomic? What benefit do I get from the Stereo aspect on the more expensive mic? (The mono Videomic splits the mono signal over both audio-channels)

So if anyone has had experiences with the videomics, please help. Especially if you are also a GL-2 user.

Kind regards,

Merlin
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Vandenbossche View Post

1. Is using an external mic (on board camera) a great improvement on the implented on-board-mic? (aside of using it on a boompole)

2. I wish to make an investment that lasts a while; Why would I choose the somewhat more expensive Rode Stereo Mic over the (mono) Rode Videomic? What benefit do I get from the Stereo aspect on the more expensive mic? (The mono Videomic splits the mono signal over both audio-channels)

So if anyone has had experiences with the videomics, please help. Especially if you are also a GL-2 user.

Kind regards,

Merlin

Depends on what you're shooting.

For Natural sound where you want the viewer to feel like they are there, I'd get the SVM.

For all around use and "attempting" to get dialogue, I'd get the VideoMic as it will reject from sides and pickup more where you are pointing it.

I have a few samples of both the RODE mics up at http://dvgeartalk.com
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Major Player

How does an audio recorder such as the Zoom H4 or Edirol R-09 compare ?

I'm looking to pick up dialog for interviews. I was thinking an audio recorder might give me more flexibility and make the interviewee more comfortable since they wouldn't have a big camera and mic in their face.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #4
DVCreators.Net

Hi Ron,

Do you mean that you would like to record audio only? Both of those units are nice recorders, but I would get a better mic. I like the Countryman B6 with the EW connector on an R-09 for a small portable package.

There are some pretty good ideas for storytelling with audio and photographs check out if you'd like to see some sample projects check out http://mediastorm.org/ and some good tips on gathering audio http://mediastorm.org/submissions/gathering_audio.htm
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Not to record audio only.

Record it separately from the video/camcorder in an attempt to get better sound. I know to get the best audio the mic needs to be close to the subject. Since I will not be using a boom, the mic would be mounted on the camcorder. I can imagine my interviewees getting nervous and/or intimidated if I had the camcorder and mic really close to them.

What I am thinking is pulling the camcorder back a little to get a nice wide view and put the interviewee at ease. I would use a voice recorder to hopefully get good/decent audio or at least better than a camcorder mounted mic.

I would sync the audio and video in my video editor software.

Is this a good idea ?

BTW, I looked up the Countryman B6 mic. That thing's expensive. Almost as much as the Edirol.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chau View Post
Not to record audio only.

Record it separately from the video/camcorder in an attempt to get better sound. I know to get the best audio the mic needs to be close to the subject. Since I will not be using a boom, the mic would be mounted on the camcorder. I can imagine my interviewees getting nervous and/or intimidated if I had the camcorder and mic really close to them.

What I am thinking is pulling the camcorder back a little to get a nice wide view and put the interviewee at ease. I would use a voice recorder to hopefully get good/decent audio or at least better than a camcorder mounted mic.

I would sync the audio and video in my video editor software.

Is this a good idea ?

BTW, I looked up the Countryman B6 mic. That thing's expensive. Almost as much as the Edirol.
Whether you record to a separate recorder or send a cable to the camera, the issue of mic placement is going to be identical. The mics on a mini recorder still need to be up close to the subject so you're going to have to someone or something hold it up within a few inches of the subject's mouth. If you don't want an interviewer holding the recorder up to the subject's face, you'll still need to püt a mic on him. And remember you'll also need to record the interviewer's questions with equal clarity. If you're not able to boom a mic close to the subject's, a hard-wired lav on each of them will give you far better sound than any mic on the camera. Another alternative is to give the interviewer a hand-held stick mic to record both voices.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
Hi Ron,

Do you mean that you would like to record audio only? Both of those units are nice recorders, but I would get a better mic. I like the Countryman B6 with the EW connector on an R-09 for a small portable package.
Whats the "EW" connector Guy? Can you give a link pls?

The B3 is less expensive than the B6 and still really very small.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #8
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
Whats the "EW" connector Guy? Can you give a link pls?

The B3 is less expensive than the B6 and still really very small.
My apologies for being vague.... it stands for "Evolution Wireless" which is the 1/8" miniplug for the Sennheiser G2.

The Countryman B3 and B6 can be purchased with different connectors for all the different manufacturers crazy connectors...standards anyone ? LOL Lemo 3 pin, 1pin , Microdot, TA4-F, TA5F...

They can even re-wire units if you send 'em in. You can even get 'em in just good ole hardwired XLR - although they do require phantom power.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio