Audio messed up when trying to capture footage on DVX100 with the GL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #1
Wrangler

Audio messed up when trying to capture footage on DVX100 with the GL-1

I recently shot my first wedding with my new cam- the DVX100. In order to save some wear and tear on my heads I decided to use my GL-1 as my capturing deck. It wasn't long before I noticed a digital fuzz out of the right channel. FYI, I'm using a Senheisser ME66 with my DVX100. Obviously I immediatly got worried thinking this digital noise transferred on my important shots where the audio is needed. I tried capturing the same footage with my DVX100 (same cam it was originally shot on) and the noise was gone?! Does anyone know why capturing on a camera the footage wasn't originally shot can cause this sort of problem. It's a bit disconcerting because I was looking to buy a cheap deck to do all my capturing from to save wear and tear on the heads. If it's going to have glitches similar to the DVX100 footage on my GL-1....maybe it's not worth it. Any and all input will greatly be appreciated.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

As far as I know the Canon's have the worst audio transfer, to keep it in sync, KHz fluctuation and stuff, I'm not sure if your case has anything to do with it, but a deck shouldn't have any problems at all.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've heard problems from guys over at the 2-pop DVX100 board regarding certian decks and DVX100 footage. I was "planning" on buying a cheap Panasonic PV-DV53 mini-DV cam to use AS a deck. But I'm concerned about running into the same problems I did while capturing thru my GL-1. I'm trying to avoid the expense of a mini-dv deck! Those things are unrealistically priced!!!!
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Sony DSR-11 is not that expensive, but it depends how you are using it, if you use batch capture a lot, it's worth it in long run since it's more rugged than the camera. On the other hand if you just capture everything and then cut it up in your NLE then maybe it's not worth it.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

Usually the first time thru I watch and log all sceens on paper w/time code. Then I connect it to pc and capture the sceens using my written log as a guide. Either way there is alot of play, pause, play, pause, rewind, play.....etc...
How much is the DSR-11? I'm sure it can't compete against the $349 sticker price on Panasonic's PV-DV53 mini-dv cam. I figured for under $400 I could have a deck and a throw-away cam...plus I'd get an extra Panasonic Battery and Charger out of the mix. I'm just concerned the DV53 will have problems capturing the DVX100's audio/video. I've already run into problems capturing w/ my GL-1........
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Take one of the DVX100 tapes to the store and play it through the Panny camera your looking at. In theory it's all the same but I've known of XL-1 footage having sync problems with Sony decks. One of the brands should match the sync of the DVX100 so try several cameras and see what you get.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #7
Wrangler

Thats a good idea- although beings its the audio that glitched on me it'll be harder to distinguish...especially with the tiny on-camera speaker. I'm hearing it thru very hi-fidelity speakers (Klipsch 5.1 Promedias). When it's output to the tv it's less noticable.....on camera probably in-audible. I guess there's always the return policy- though I wanted to order it online and I'm sure B&H will hit me with a re-stocking fee.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio