Samson C01 Vs Rode Podcaster at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Samson C01 Vs Rode Podcaster

Ji folks.. I like to do some voice overs in my home for wedding videos n I figured the most cost effective way is via a USB mic. I noticed the Rode Podcaster is critically aclaimed but I cant get it in my country. The only choice I have now is the Samson C01. Does anyone have experience over this? The price is pretty affordable as well.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1810
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Pro...duct=Podcaster
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Sean,
Did you ask Hung Bros at Sim Lim Square if they have the Rode Podcaster? I would stay away from the Samson CO1. Another alternative might be to buy a usb mixer? Then you could use any mic..
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes the Hung bros do not have it. I have not heard of Samson that is why I'm asking. Thks for the advise. Any idea who else can I ask?
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try Kontakt Singapore? http://www.prokontakt.com/
They are the Rode Distributors in Singapore.
Wah sorry man didn't see you got 320 post,
you are much more experianced than me...

Alesis seems to have a usb mic too
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=109

Last edited by Hsien Yong; July 8th, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Add more info
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #5
New Boot

I would try Kontakt but be aware the e-mail address on that website is wrong. Suggest you contact Miss Nurhin (email is nurhin@kontakt.com.sg) to ask about Rode microphones.
James Benstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey dun mention about no of posts! We r all learning here :) I appreciate all the inputs.. Will ask Kontakt then.. thanks.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The Blue Snowball is also a good USB mic IMHO. Not that I want to complicate your purchasing decision, just had to mention it!
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I purchased a Samson CO1 for the college I teach at - it is an outstanding value, and very good for an inexpensive narration mic that doesn't need a sound card to operate. Students can plug it into any one of our 50 macs for quick and dirty narration (dirty because this is in a lab/classroom environment).

Let's be clear about this, the USB mics bypass the sound card in the computer. Since most sound cards that ship with laptops or desktops are not suitable for pro use, this is a good thing. Anyone who has invested in a high quality sound interface probably wants a different mic.

The Samson is a great value in an entry-level narration mic. It sounds good.

Here in the US, it is about $90 US. You probably want to get a USB extension cable to move the mic away from the noise of a computer - perhaps a closet or the next room.

I've not used the Rode Podcaster.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I have. The nice thing about the Rode Podcaster is that there's a headphone jack on the mic. That means you can listen to yourself while you record. With other USB mics, the latency caused by the audio going through the computer and back out the computer headphone jack makes listening to yourself impossible.

As a VO guy, performing without headphones is not where it's at.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Trustee

yeah the audio jack on the Rode is wat I'm looking for too. But I have no experience in dealing with Podcasting so I didnt want to invest in a USB mixer and end up not using it. Great advise gang.. I will try to look for the Rode otherwise I'm prob go for the samson
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Major Player

You could always go to the source, contact Rode directly. I have dealt with them a few times and all I can say is many companies could and should take a lesson from them in great Customer Service.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Trustee

I recently listed to some audio from the Rode Podcaster and when I asked how much work there was to clean up the audio, it turned out I was listening to the original. The mic appears to not pick up anything outside of a very close range. I just ordered one. It was that good.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I have heard the mic. In the best of environments and working the mic very closely, I'm sure that's possible.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio