Azden SGM-2x vs. Audio-Technica AT835b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2003, 11:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Azden SGM-2x vs. Audio-Technica AT835b vs. Schriber SA-568

Alright folks... I have been doing some research on ~$200-$300 shotgun mics for use on short films. I will probably be boom mounting them, so I will need a shockmount, and what not. I've read the review at:

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

and narrowed it down to the SGM-2x and AT835b.

B&H has the SGM-2x for $219.95 and the AT835b for $239.95... the review at LAFCPUG gave them pretty comparable ratings. The SGM-2x comes with a shock mount and carrying case, whereas with the AT835b, I'd have to buy a shock mount ($45) and case. One of the major differences between them, is the AT835b supports phantom powering, and the SGM-2x does not. However, I'm not too sure how much of a different that would make for me... from what I've read of phantom power, and maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see that big of a benefit from using it.

Please, I'm new to production audio, and would like any comments and suggestions that will help me make an educated purchase. I guess, to summarize my question... is the AT835b worth the extra $65+ for the phantom powering, and possible better performance? I'd like to hear from people who have used either, or both, if possible. Thanks guys.

[EDIT: I just read another post on a different mic... the Schriber/NRG Research SA-568... Zotz sells it for $135 with case, windscreen, etc. Also, Zotz sells the AT835b for $195... forget to check them before originally posting. So that puts the AT835b as cheaper than the SGM-2x. So I guess my real question now is... between the AT-835b and the SA-568... hah. sorry for the change.]

-Jason
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I have the same question - in another link they are testing the SA-568 and initial responses are not good. I just ordered it, and I'm hoping I don't regret it. I predict I may be trying to trade it for the AT-835b. With or without the case, it's the sound that counts.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I have been following that thread too, and finally seeing the test results. Doesn't sound good, especially that hissing. Looks like I will end up with the SGM-2x or the AT-835b...

-Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The AT-835b sounds better than the SGM-2X and is more durable as well - but the SGM-2X is a decent mic. I would be willing to pay up to $75 more for the AT-835b, if they are comparably priced it is an easy choice: the AT-835b hands down.

You are wise to avoid the Scriber - it is probably no better than the ATR-55 which is much cheaper. Neither one is very good!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jason Moore : Yeah, I have been following that thread too, and finally seeing the test results. Doesn't sound good, especially that hissing. Looks like I will end up with the SGM-2x or the AT-835b...

-Moore -->>>
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just a quick note that the AT835b comes with the case, windscreen and the mic stand mount and the sgm-2x comes with the 2 windscreens and the shock mount. The way I was reading this post I think we got them switched around.

Brian

BTW I got this information off the b&h website
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #6
New Boot

Slightly Off topic...

I too am looking at the AT835B or the SGM-2X for on Camera work. I am also looking for opinions though on whether either of these mics could also serve as a decent handheld interview mic with the appropriate windscreen?

Eric
Eric Gutknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You can buy the Azden mic right now on ebay for $199

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032961788&category=3319

Scott
Scott Burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Major Player

shotgun mic as a handheld

Eric
You can use the audio technica AT-8415 shockmount with a Handgrip made by Remote Audio, otherwise you will get too much handling noise.

TIP: The best way to mount a shotgun into a shokmount, is to criss-cross the rubber bands
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio