Combination of adaptor and adaptor-less footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Combination of adaptor and adaptor-less footage

When you guys use your adaptor, do you take it off for wide shots and just use the camera on the lens?

It seems to me that 35mm are useless for wide shots, because you have to zoom in with your camera and lose a lot of the image because of vigneting on it. And it seems that with the wider the lens (35mm, 28mm) the more the image is vignetting, and you have to zoom in even more.

Can you disguise raw camera footage as footage shot by an adaptor, ie give it a slight softness, add a bit more blur to the edges, so that it appears as if it was shot by the adaptor? How else would you take wide shots? These adaptors seem great for closeups, and get beautiful depth of field, but the only shots you can get with them are medium at best, and then closeups.
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Trustee

It depends on the quality of your adapter. I constantly mix adapter and non-adapter footage on my shoots. On my website, "Explanations" music video mixes adapter footage with non-adapter footage shot on a crane, and they look indistinguishable even on a 108" projection screen. I shot with 35mm and 24mm focal length lenses on that, which you can consider wide angle I suppose.

At the beginning of using adapters I wanted to use it for everything. Now I know it depends on the look you want and the available light as well. My 24mm works without any vignetting on my Brevis so I feel comfortable knowing the option is there, regardless. Keep in mind even wide angle 35mm lenses have significant DOF at close distances.

It also depends on the look you're going for. Wide angle shots on an adapter can have advantageous vignetting that may match the look you're going for. Keep in mind that wide angles can exhibit vignetting even on actual camera bodies, and if not, the image you have to zoom in to achieve is the actual intended focal length, so you're not turning it into a telephoto.

Generally I remove the adapter for only these reasons:
The rig I am using cannot support the weight.
Wide angle shots.
Shots whose DOF would not change with or without the adapter.
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #3
Major Player

For the last two days - without seeing this entry - i've been thinking the same thing. The verdict?

You can mix the footage, and you can get away with it.

Have I done this? Not really.. not with a finished project. But like Ben suggests, use the lens where it's appropriate. I'll use my Adapter for most of the shots if I'm going for that look (which for my next project I will) but where it's weaker, say with a 28mm lens (which doesn't work well with my Brevis and HV20), or an "extreme telephoto" I'll use the camera's bare lens or with a video camera wide angle lens.

If I have to match the vignette, the effect can very easily be recreated in After Effects - a lot of motion graphic ads are doing it these days.

Ben: The 28mm prime I'm talking about is a Nikon and vignette's horribly, despite being fast. I've got the achromat and spacer along with the ride with my Canon HV20. What brand 24mm lens and camera are you using?
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
Ben: The 28mm prime I'm talking about is a Nikon and vignette's horribly, despite being fast. I've got the achromat and spacer along with the ride with my Canon HV20. What brand 24mm lens and camera are you using?
I've got a Sony FX1 with a Brevis + CF1L diffuser which compensates for vignette in wide angle lenses. The 24mm lens is a f2.4 Leica m42 screwmount with a Canon FD mount adapter on it.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm...this is all good to know and was also a concern of mine. I don't have an adapter as yet but from what I always read I was told once you use the adapter you should use it for the entire project because of matching problems.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods