Canon FD or FDn lenses for Letus35 Extreme? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon FD or FDn lenses for Letus35 Extreme?

Hi,

I have recently ordered the Letus35 Extreme for my A1 and I'm now searching for suitable Canon lenses. Primarily I'm looking for 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 which seems to have a good performance/price relationship.
I want to be able to manually adjust the aperture of the 35 mm lenses and thus not having to shoot wide open at all times. There are however two different versions of the FD mount, the old FD with a chrome ring and the newer FDn which should be compatible. Does anybody know which of these mounts I can use with the Letus FD mount and still beeing able to manually adjust the aperture on the 35 mm lens?

Thanks
Anders
Anders W. Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Tourist

Both FD and FDn lenses are compatible with Letus35

For information, I have checked the compatibility with Quyen (www.letus35.com). The say that Letus35 Extreme has an improved Canon FD mount which works for both FD and FDn lenses (so did also the Letus35 FE). In order to use the aperture on the FDn lenses the aperture arm must be permanently pushed by putting in a small piece of plastic or similar (5 mm long) in the slot where the aperture arm is moving. Having done this and attached the lens the aperture can be changed by moving the aperture ring. I have tested this on my recently bought FDn 50/1.4 and it seems to work.

Thanks
Anders
Anders W. Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

I mainly shoot with my 55mm 1.2 with better resualts than with my 50mm 1.4. It's the best glass I've seen but it runs about $200.00 on ebay (if you can find one).

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
I mainly shoot with my 55mm 1.2 with better resualts than with my 50mm 1.4. It's the best glass I've seen but it runs about $200.00 on ebay (if you can find one).

-C
I disagree, I think the 1.2 is a waste of money. The results I get from my 1.2 (aka barely noticable) aren't worth the difference in price for what I get from the 1.4. See my comparison here: http://cinevate.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7652#7652

The reason you can't notice the difference in 1.2 vs. 1.4 is something called psychophysical scaling. When there is an abundance of light or sensory input, bigger changes in this sensory input are noticed less. For instance if you light up a candle in a bright room you wouldn't notice it, versus lighting that same candle in a dark closet...so there may be a bigger advantage to the 1.2 at lower f stops but I haven't noticed this at higher f-stops where grain, vignetting etc. is still not yet an issue. This may be amplified by the camera's low latitude.

Bottom line, save your money, go 1.4.
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #5
New Boot

...speaking of canon fd lenses...does anybody know what i have ecatly to do
for adjusting the aperture with the letus adapter?...i found another thread where quyen has posted a picture that should explain how to do it..but the link is broken unfortunatley...

regards - dom
Dominik Gehring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods