Letus Extreme VS. Letus Economy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus Extreme VS. Letus Economy

I know that this has been asked but yet to be answered in a different thread. Does anyone know how much of a picture difference there is between the two?

I'm looking to upgrade, but am torn. The price difference is significant enough to think hard about it. Supposedly, the Economy has almost as good of a picture, but what is 'almost'. How much of a difference does it make not having the condenser that the Extreme has?

Anyone with knowledge on this?
Nicholas Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nicholas-
Here's a Steve Dempsey quote from another forum:

"The Extreme is a brand new release from Letus. It is head and shoulders above the Flip Enhanced in build and quality. It looks and feels professional (metal as opposed to plastic). Check www.adapterplace.com for full details.

The difference, in a nutshell, is that the FE is a good adapter for most applications but the Extreme takes it to a new level of professionalism and it can easily compete with the other big names out there, including the highly priced MovieTube and Mini35.

Right now, it's the only adapter in it's class that offers a built in flip system. The Extreme is using a prism now instead of the mirrors of the FE."
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Major Player

The original post asks the difference between the Economy and the Extreme, not the flip enhanced. I have sent a few emails to adapterplace.com and asked the differences. The battery storage for one, the condenser..which is supposed to "fix hot spots" according to the manufacturer. The extreme has an aluminum housing, and the Econo has the plastic housing. But both have the same internals including the prism and better glass. Light loss is identical. For me, I am buying the economy. I feel it will be VERY similar to the extreme in all situations. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Major Player

I lied... but not on purpose. I ordered the extreme instead. My motivation was resale value. If I get in a pinch, I am more likely to get back most of my investment on the extreme since the price will be increasing shortly to 1500 from 1200. When it goes up the additional 300, anyone should be able to fully recoup their investment if they take care of it. J
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Trustee

me too

Yea I bit the bullet and ordered the Extreme over the Economy for the same reasons. what are you doing about rails for the setup?
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I am looking at Cavision, and Indierails? How about you? J
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Miller View Post
I am looking at Cavision, and Indierails? How about you? J
same - I was going to write to Quyen to see when his rails would be ready and what sort of price they'd be
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
same - I was going to write to Quyen to see when his rails would be ready and what sort of price they'd be
I am continually impressed with the speed of his email response, they may not be a big organisation but they've got my vote.

"Rail system won't be available soon. Could be another 3 months or more but I am not sure on this, thanks."

I've written to the guys at indifocus to make sure their rails will fit the Extreme

Last edited by Paul Mailath; October 14th, 2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: added info
Paul Mailath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Major Player

If rails are used, does that imply removing and re-adding the adapter will be a difficult process? I want to use a Letus for run n' gun wedding coverage. The 1/2 stop loss of the extreme and its construction is attractive for my application, but I don't know about quick setups..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
If rails are used, does that imply removing and re-adding the adapter will be a difficult process? I want to use a Letus for run n' gun wedding coverage. The 1/2 stop loss of the extreme and its construction is attractive for my application, but I don't know about quick setups..
Cavision has a quick release rod support system... Should improve an impromptu run and gun situation...

http://www.cavision.com/rods/minidvQR.htm
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

looks like the Economy version have the best of both world....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Davis View Post
Cavision has a quick release rod support system... Should improve an impromptu run and gun situation...

Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Davis View Post

Yes, it looks like the rod support has a quick release plate, but then removing the camera off of the rods and detach it from the letus means the letus would need to be unscrewed from the lens thread.. how long would that take? Are we talking about 1-2 minutes? or more?
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #13
Trustee

Yang,
I don't know your situation, but what about buying an additional camera to use with your Letus? It might make more sense at a wedding to go with the 2 camera system so you aren't trying to take cameras apart & reconfigure everything on the fly. Think of it this way; how many times have you seen a photographer at a wedding lugging 2 cameras around so that he/she doesn't have to stop and change lenses for different looks. I've seen it plenty of times. If they're going that route, maybe we video guys can too.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm using a DVX and GL2 today and I plan on using the Letus on for the Preparation segments..

Going by your suggestion, I can use the Letus on the GL2 and have the DVX around for the bread n' butter shots. On the Adapter Place site, they have the option of either the 72mm or 58mm thread size. Does that mean the FE can be used in either sizes? I would then need to get both rings?

http://www.adapterplace.com/componen...art/Itemid,56/
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

True in a sense but slinging two camera on each shoulder seems to be quite a stunt especially if one is attached with a letus+lens. Rather dangerous too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Yang,
I don't know your situation, but what about buying an additional camera to use with your Letus? It might make more sense at a wedding to go with the 2 camera system so you aren't trying to take cameras apart & reconfigure everything on the fly. Think of it this way; how many times have you seen a photographer at a wedding lugging 2 cameras around so that he/she doesn't have to stop and change lenses for different looks. I've seen it plenty of times. If they're going that route, maybe we video guys can too.
Yow Siang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods