Any videos out there.. ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Any videos out there.. ?

.. that shows the installing of a Letus adapter onto a camera? I have an idea of what the process is but it will definitely help if there's a video showing in realtime what it takes to install the adapter.

Basically, the only thing that's holding me back right now is the installation / uninstallation process in a run n' gun situation.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It is not rocket science. Assuming you have the proper thread size, or adapters for it, you screw the adapt to the front of your camera, using the front filter threads. Then you mount the 35mm lens to the other end, turn on the vibrating screen, turn on your camera, zoom it to fill screen and focus on the screen, and you are done....
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Major Player

What about if rails are used? When disconnecting the adapter, would you need to uncouple the adapter from the rail and then unscrew it? Or can you simply "slide out" the piece that attaches the adapter to the rails? Since the Letus is not a round tube like the Brevis, is there enough clearance between the adapter and the rails to allow you to unscrew the adapter with ease?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
.. that shows the installing of a Letus adapter onto a camera? I have an idea of what the process is but it will definitely help if there's a video showing in realtime what it takes to install the adapter.

Basically, the only thing that's holding me back right now is the installation / uninstallation process in a run n' gun situation.
Run and gun with any adaptor is a damn tricky process! I can't use my brevis these days without having my marshall plugged in as in the past I have shot stuff that looks pin sharp but isn't when I get back to the edit suite. Now i ALWAYS have my monitor plugged in to check!
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Even the easy to set-up adapters like the Brevis and LE take some time and fiddling to get critical focus and framing. Once we have our adapters tweaked for a shoot, they are locked down to the rails and they don't move. I can't imagine shooting RnG on an adapter without the the focus and zoom presets on the A1, it's just too easy to accidently touch the zoom/focus. Planning to remove and replace the adapter during the day really isn't feasible. You'll wind up with lots soft footage and plenty of missed scenes because you were in the middle of switching in/out the adapter. You really need to dedicate a camera to the adapter.

Even though every new adapter user refuses to believe this, you can't pull critical focus with an on-board LCD. If you're shooting SD with a very narrow DOF telephoto, or are OK with soft footage, you might have a chance.

If you're shooting HD, the other thing that you will refuse to be believe is that you can't pull critical focus with an external SD monitor. There's no shortage of people who have bought 4"-7" monitors fully convinced that they could focus with them, only to sell them a week later.

Also, there's no shortage of people who don't believe you when you tell them that even a 7" Marshall HD monitor sometimes isn't enough to pull critical focus if you plan on shooting wide angles below 35mm or if you're in a very bright or low light conditions.

But don't worry, I don't expect you to believe this either.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods