Unknown 35mm flipper in Tiffen`s IBC booth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Unknown 35mm flipper in Tiffen`s IBC booth?

I was browsing the net another day and came across to that unknown 35mm adapter shown in Tiffen`s Booth. I think it`s fitted to an A1.
Take a look: http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com/...s/photo10.html
It took me some time to see it at the background.
Anyone knows what it actually is?

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #2
Trustee

that looks like the letus extreme, the one with the LED switch already transferred to the back.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Trustee

certainly looks like it...
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Kind of reminds Letus, maybe it really premiered there as IBC was held on 6-11 September if I`m not mistaken... very unlikely.
I saw that Mikko Wilson was there so maybe he jumps by and enlightens us.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think its the new movietube adapter. Looks like the letus but is gray with slightly different body design.
Attached Images

Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Why is it that the two expensive adapter manufacturers are the only ones who don't post full resolution, uncompressed frame grabs and videos?
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Trustee

because they can't justify their prices? Or perhaps they think they are above such things as message boards!

With the new Letus Extreme and Dennis Wood's flip module for the Brevis out, or almost out. Competition for the movietube and mini 35 has never been stronger. I would LOVE to test out these four adaptors together and see finally if there really is any justification for such a massive price difference!
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Phil.

Movietube and P+S Technik were pioneers in their unique forms of the application. Subsequent new players have essentially harvested the ideas then in some instances offered new levels of performance and options on top.

My guess is that from a legal standpoint, for P+S and Movietube, by entering into technical discussion here, consent for copying or development of their ideas could be implied so they might simply be not taking the chance - pure assumption on my part based in no way in fact.

I think they might be a little misguided in staying away if in fact they have done do deliberately. Much of the support for the new optical adaptor players and such as RED and Cineform has been generated by a sort of defacto R & D involvement by people on the forums. An associated enthusiasm and sense of ownership and more importantly a loyalty develops.

I have had a recent play with a JVC HD100/Mini35-400 combination to check the backfocus for the owner. Adjusted with care, it optically ----s on anything I have ever built.

Blocks "B" and "G" of the Lemac chart resolve solidly. Blocks "A" and "F", show moire patterns which suggests the optical path lays a sharper pattern on the CCD array than the CCD array is able to resolve.

On my own Agus35/Sony, I get firm block "B" resolution but no block "G" and there is no moire pattern on blocks "A" and "F" which suggests my combination optically hits a wall a lot sooner. My subjective guess is that my gadget comes in at about 70% of the Mini35 performance, not the 85% I was previously inclined to believe.

Block "B" indicates 862 lines or better of horizontal resolution. Block "F" indicates 486 or better lines of vertical resolution. The notes on the chart advise that HD video camera is incapable of resolving blocks "A" and "F".

It may likely be a different story with the RED camera, Viper and SI 2K but that is science I do not know.

Block "A" indicates 1920 horizontal lines of resolution, block "F" indicates 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

My framing on the chart was by the camera LCD viewfinder not by underscan framing.

I regret I did not have the courage in investing in the Mini35. I could have been earning with it by now. My own gadget simply is not good enough.

Bear in mind I am no tech or industry professional, just a mug with a pair of pliers, hacksaw and tinsnips in hand.

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 26th, 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods