PS Technik Adapter for the DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 10th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PS Technik Adapter for the DVX100

I didn't go to the recent Cinegear Expo, but I heard that PS Technik unveiled a prototype of their Photo Lens Adapter for the DVX100. It would be nice to use prime lenses with the DVX. Hopefully I can rent this unit in the future.

http://www.tarobeckwith.com/pstechnik.jpg
Taro Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #2
Space Hipster

I'm confused about these adapters for fixed lens cams. I can understand how this would be a workable solution for a cam like the XL1s that has interchangeable lenses, but here, what ever lens is added, the image still goes through the DVX100 lens.

So any gains in sharpness, contrast etc. would be lost, plus you putting alot of stuff in front of the CCDs. To my mind, this will degrade the image, not improve it.

Unlike the anamorphic adaptor, this does not increase the number of pixels usable either, so how could this improve the image?

Seems like the only benefit is rack focus, follow focus and shallow DOF - while losing image sharpness.

And if this is priced liked the others, rental only for most people.
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Stephen,
I am worried about the image degradation myself. I was actually shocked to hear that the PS Technik adapter was coming out for the DVX100 because of the fact that it is a fixed lens camera. It seems like a hell of a lot of glass before the image hits the CCDs. It will be interesting to see how the images look with this thing
Taro Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yes.. there is a loss of 3 stops and everything becomes.... softer or grainy like. you recognize a loss in details especially in long shots.
but if shallow DOF is what you're looking for, u got it here big time :)
Shai Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods