Best adaptor for landscape/nature shots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Best adaptor for landscape/nature shots

I have an HV20 that I might like to use with a 35mm adaptor. I would like to use the Canon 17-40 F4/L, 70-200 F4/L, 300 F4/L and 135 F2/L lenses. Unlike most adaptor users I would want to be able to stop the lens down on many occasions.

With the 300, I would probably want to use F5.6 to F8.0 to ensure that an entire bird, for example, is in focus. With the 17-40, I would want to shoot at 24 mm and with the lens stopped down as much as F11.0. Each of these lenses is very sharp wide open, especially the 135 F2. I know that I would have to set the aperture on a DSLR with the DOF preview button since these are all electronically controlled lenses.

I have been looking at the Redrock Micro and the Brevis. It seems that someone indicated that the the Redrock might have less grain when the 35 mm lens is stopped down (because of the rotating ground glass element). I know that both systems have evolved quite a bit in the last few years, and so opinions from a year ago might not be as valid as they once were. I would certainly want to use the lenses wide open on occasion, but it might not be worth to me to use an adaptor if shooting stopped down is simply not practical.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the "best" adaptor for wider depths of field?

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Pat

yes, it's true the rotating screen allows you to stop down much farther without seeing grain. Here's a small movie that demonstrates this (from our product page):

http://www.redrockmicro.com/footage/...rture_test.mov

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Pat, if it were me, and I was wanting a really deep depth of field, as you stated in your post, I would just skip the 35mm adapter and use the clarity of the lens on the camera.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Pat, don`t forget that you must use your SLR camera body to stop down your lenses as none of the DOF adaptors won`t let you contol aperture on Canon EF lenses.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Brian, that demo movie looks great! David, your right, it would in many cases make more sense to use the HV20's own lens for large DOF. If it turns out that the 17-40 F4 looked good at 24 mm and F11, that would be a very nice wide angle option with a lens that I already own. I do like the cinematic look with shallow DOF and the true 24p of the HV20, so I would certainly take advantage of the possibilities if I had an adaptor. Toenis, I will make sure I set the 35 mm lens aperture on my dslr with the DOF preview button.

Thanks everyone.

Pat
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Pat, this was done last week with the Brevis flip. The wide angle shots were done with an f4.5 28-200 zoom, at 28mm. I regularly use f4 to f5.6 to keep the 35mm lens at its sharpest.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Great Pat. Glad it helped. As a landscape photographer myself, I absolutely know the importance of stopping down. The M2 with its rotating screen is the only adapter that allows you to stop down past 5.6 without seeing grain.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Major Player

Brian, very nice shot :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #9
Trustee

oooohhhhh. pretty.
Just to clarify, that was shot with a DSLR right?
If so, what type? What lens? And where the heck is that so I can buy some land?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Valente View Post
The M2 with its rotating screen is the only adapter that allows you to stop down past 5.6 without seeing grain.
The SGpro has the same advantage :)

Pat, it would be nice to see more adapter footage utilising EOS lenses stopped down rather then the usual 'wide open'.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Trustee

Have a look here at

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Phil...5mm_Letus.html

shot with the letus extreme. Very happy with the results.

have had similar great results with my Brevis. Have a look at the Anorexia link on my site for 3 shorts shot with the Brevis. In particular look at part 2 for landscapes.
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks everyone! I've been swamped and out of the loop for a few weeks. Brian, Dennis, and Wayne, thanks for the info. One of the nice things about this site is that manufacturers or their representatives participate. Your companies have great products and respond to user's questions and feedback. Each of you has a presence here and your interactions with each other are cordial and professional. All of this says a lot about the kind of committment you have to quality products and service.

Phil, I couldn't find the files you referred to, maybe I looked to late.

I am looking into upgrade paths for my equipment. They range from a 35 mm adaptor for the HV20 to the Sony PMW EX1. Right now I'm leaning towards the V1 or XH A1, but haven't ruled out the adaptors. Thanks again.

Pat
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Trustee

hi pat

It has changed its name. Go to www.philipbloom.net and click ok letus autumn 35mm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods