Hacking a prgoressive cam for 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hacking a prgoressive cam for 24p?

I have a JVC camcorder I plan to modify (way past its warranty) to fit my needs and I was wondering if there was some kind of firmware hack I could make work on it to give me 24p? It's significantly old, but I have zilch money for anything new (I was conned into buying this ancient yet kind of adequate cam). The model is a gr-dvl9000. I've already learned how to create a lens mount for slr lenses on a small camcorder by experimenting with another one I have that's broken (I may post pictures) and I would like to mod the firmware of the camera too. Also, is there any way to hack a camera so it won't refuse to operate when it detects condensation? I hat that feature.

Last edited by John C. Butler; November 18th, 2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
John C. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Doubtful. It still has to get on to tape at the specified codec parameters.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi John and welcome to DVinfo. I've moved this to our Alternative Imaging forum. If anyone knows how to do such a thing, you'll find them here!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Butler View Post
I have a JVC camcorder I plan to modify (way past its warranty) to fit my needs and I was wondering if there was some kind of firmware hack I could make work on it to give me 24p? It's significantly old, but I have zilch money for anything new (I was conned into buying this ancient yet kind of adequate cam). The model is a gr-dvl9000. I've already learned how to create a lens mount for slr lenses on a small camcorder by experimenting with another one I have that's broken (I may post pictures) and I would like to mod the firmware of the camera too. Also, is there any way to hack a camera so it won't refuse to operate when it detects condensation? I hat that feature.
There are a few issues here.

One, you'd need a leaked version of the firmware directly from the company. Usually these are gotten from disgruntled Service Center employees. Yet, it's only happened once or twice in the history of digital camcorders (I think PD-150 was leaked a while back)

Second, you'd need to find suitable hardware to interface with the service port on the camera, if it's even accessible from the outside. And software to go with that hardware. Again, your anarchist Service Center worker is your source here.

Third, the appropriate hardware to sequence 24p has to be available on the camera, and this is an integral part of the design. You can't just "add it on."

You're better off just buying a 24p camera if you want it that badly. But honestly, 24p is overrated. Film look is about lighting, set design, lighting, costumes, makeup, lighting, a steady camera movement-- oh and lighting. Look on my website: the film that gets the most compliments re: cinematography is the "One Headlight" video and guess what? It's 30p.
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hmm. Well, simply being progressive really helps with the motion characteristics film look. I always hated the weird motion blurring that deinterlacing interlaced footage caused. I have been working on the other aspects of the film look as you mentioned (especially lighting), and I think that's satisfactory by itself.
John C. Butler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods