[Letus Extreme] Is it okay to zoom through? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Major Player

[Letus Extreme] Is it okay to zoom through?

My Letus Extreme just arrived, plugged it into my XH A1... wow.

Something I didn't realise before purchasing the adaptor is that after setting it up with a prime lens, it is possible to zoom through much of the camcorder's zoom range while maintaining focus.

So, for instance, I bought Nikon 50mm and 105mm lenses. By using the XHA1's zoom on the 50mm prime I can zoom through all the focal lengths in between (so, do I really need to buy an 85mm prime?).

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this? By applying zoom in camera am I degrading image quality in some way? Although I haven't done extensive testing the image looked pretty good zoomed in a tad.

Sorry if my questions sound dumb/naive, this is my first experience of the 35mm adaptor and this zoom through ability seems too good to be true.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this? By applying zoom in camera am I degrading image quality in some way? Although I haven't done extensive testing the image looked pretty good zoomed in a tad.
Yes and no. If it works for your purposes, go for it. The only way is to try.

Technically you are optically enlarging the ground glass in the system which makes the grain in the glass bigger as well and is not advised.

You are essentially minimizing the available resolution given to you by the lens. Not to mention you are losing light, and adding to the likelihood of chroma aberration and distortion.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
Technically you are optically enlarging the ground glass in the system which makes the grain in the glass bigger as well and is not advised.

You are essentially minimizing the available resolution given to you by the lens. Not to mention you are losing light, and adding to the likelihood of chroma aberration and distortion.
Thanks Ben... I thought the ground glass and lens resolution may be an issue but wasn't entirely sure. I hadn't thought of chroma aberration and distortion being exaggerated. That clears it up for me, much appreciated.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods