Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35

Like most, I've narrowed down my selection bewteen either the Canon or Nikon manual lenses for the Letus 35. I noticed that the Canon is listed as "Canon FD Mount" for the manual lenses (I believe both the old and the new FD mounts should work, as well as Canon FL lenses?). Let me know if there are any other Canon lenses that would work on this mount.

The drop-down box for the Nikon simply says that it needs to be "Nikon -Locking Mount Lens", but I'm not sure how to look up cameras like this when searching on eBay. Do the applicable Nikon lenses have some kind of designator on them to show that they will fit on the Nikon adapter of the Letus? I noticed on one of the pages on the Letus site that it showed "Nikon AI Mount" as being accepted. Are these the only types of Nikon lenses I should be looking for on eBay? Or will all Nikon lenses fit the adapter as long as they are "Locking Mount"? If so, which Nikon lenses are locking mount?

Also, If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the Canon and Nikon lenses are both rated very close with repsect to image quaility. Let me know what your preferences are and why. I have seen that the Canon FD lenses are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Also, what size lenses are currently in your collection. I do know I need to look for lenses with at least an f-stop of 2.0 or lower due to the inherent light loss with the Letus.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Spiro Kalogeropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you want the best bet, go with the Zeiss lenses.... they are manual in operation and fit this type of shooting better than the canon or nikons...

they also hold their value much better if you need to trade out focal lengths...

plus, they have better image captures........
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ray.

Could you expand on Zeiss? Are these the Nikon mounted Zeiss lenses?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I just purchased an FD S.S.C. f2.8 300mm. Took it for a test run today at the local surf beach.
It came with a 2 x extender. I'm very happy with the results, but I will need to get a mounting support for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-300mma-web.jpg   Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-300mmb-web.jpg  

Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-image0.jpg  
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Trustee

While both Nikon and Canon make great lenses, be aware that there are a good number of Nikon and Canon lenses that are a poor choice when it comes to use with a 35mm DOF adapter.
Also be aware that your choices are far from being limited to just Nikon or Canon FD mount.
As Ray pointed out, Zeiss makes some outstanding glass.
As well as owning Nikon, Canon FD, Canon EOS, Pentax and others,
my main choice for work are Zeiss Contax lenses.
Purchased used, they are less expensive than the new Zeiss ZF lenses.
They also focus in the same direction as cine lenses, while the ZF lenses focus backwards like all Nikon lenses do. They come with a Contax-Yashica, or C/Y mount, but slap on a C/Y to Canon EOS mount and you can use them with any camera that has an EOS lens mount.
They are a great choice for lower budget projects that don't require renting Zeiss Super Speed PL mount lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-a1.jpg   Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-zeiss-01.jpg  

Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-zeiss-02.jpg   Canon and Nikon Lenses For Letus35-zeiss-03.jpg  

David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Major Player

One of the best lenses I´ve had is the Kino Precision Kiron 28mm f2 for Nikon mount. This lens focuses also at the same direction as real cine lens and is sharp wide open and absolutely sharp @ 2.8 with DOF adptors. Realy good DOF for hand held work.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Major Player

David,
Mind if I ask where you got the gears for your lenses? Hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Thanks!
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
David,
Mind if I ask where you got the gears for your lenses? Hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Thanks!
Stuart at Focus Optics.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods