Letus extreme and IV footage examples? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Letus extreme and IV footage examples?

I'm interested in the Letus Extreme on the F350, particularly what it'd give me with IV footage. Anyone got any examples of what they've achieved (and how they did it/what kit was involved etc).

I'm just reading up the blurb on the Letus web site - any other good resources I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Paul- the only person that might of tried it was Phil Bloom. But your better off with a XDCAM EX1 with the Letus. I have been quite happy with it overall. Since Red is NOT making shipments and a new camera from Red is to be released @ NAB you will have to wait.

Meanwhile you can start making great DOF videos with the LetusEX.. see my blog @ http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...Blog/Blog.html

I have footage and great pics of the Letus with the Sony EX1 and some technical stuff on how I use it.

See Phil Blooms Blog as well @ http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Bloo...ooms_Blog.html
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Steve,

I don't think I can justify another new camera at the moment, after buying a Z1 last year (with full underwater housing and lights) and an F350 just a few months ago! :) I'll take a look at the links though.

Many thanks,

Paul.
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Major Player

I had a lok at your blogs and vids - very interesting :)

One big question - how feasable is it to use this setup in real world interview situations, especially when time is tight and as normal, there's far to much to film in not enough time? ;) Setup time can be fairly limited. Seems there's potentially a lot to go wrong if you're on a job with tight timings - or does it really become second nature when you're used to it?
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Trustee

absolutely. I use the ex1/ letus for interviews a lot. It has become second nature for me
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Phil - do you notice any grain on the Letus footage from the GG? I was looking at Steve's great footage but did notice the grain on most of the moving shots (unless this was something different?).

Ona slightly different note, what kind of 35mm lenses would work well? I only have a Canon digital SLR and 3 lenses, one image stabilised, the general purpose lens and a macro. Would any of these be any good or do you need to spend serious money on that aspect too?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Trustee

not much. just a very small amount. i really have no idea about canon lenses unfortunately.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Which lenses do you use on yours (any which have you found to be best with IV shooting)?

I guess you're not going to notice the grain on more static IV's anyway?
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Trustee

done a new entry on my blog about lenses and stuff
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Great thanks Phil :)

Sounds like you spend a lot of cash on this stuff - how do you also manage to eat? ;)
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Major Player

You really have to be careful about stopping down, My rule is: do NOT stop down more than 2 stops on the adapter lens, or your going to see some effects, I had these when shooting some sky pics. I now use ND on the taking lens and you can also stop down on the Sony video lens as well. You can use the ND on the Sony camera as well, when it is really bright.

As far as setup time, you need a good support system for the Letus. I use the Zaucto system and it is rock solid. I have it so that the LetusEx slides off of the rails. I got longer cap screws so that you do not need that blasted allen wrench, you can use your fingers. Doing interviews was not a problem, but making sure you had it focused was more of a issue if the talent moved, not much depth of field with a 85mm on a tight shot. But the DOF is wonderfull
See the blog for samples of this.

See the pics over @
http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve..._Adapters.html

I have since added cap screws that have plastic knobs, to help with the rapid removal of the Letus from the camera. Should post some pics of this and where to order these small screws.
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Good pics Steve - thanks.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods