HD Homemade Camera. Drake. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Homemade Camera. Drake.

Has anyone seen anything that can compare to the camera made by Markus Rupprecht, the Drake HD cam. They use a single CCD but after looking at some of their test footage i am amazed.

http://www.drachenfeder.com/aktuelles/drake_hd_en.htm

consumer HD Cameras (HV20 etc.) are out of the question. the look of the footage is totally different.

Comparing that to the projects underway right now, there is a definate difference as far as the feel of the picture. im not sure quite what it is. but if this was made quite a while ago. what projects can be deemed similar to the drake that are underway now? im ruling out anything with Rolling Shutter artifact because at least for me i can't stand it. at least it would be a major problem to overcome. the drake doesn't seem to have a rolling shutter.

This is a call out to anyone with low cost homemade HD cameras on their minds and their thoughts on how anything today can compare to the Drake.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #2
Major Player

The drake was/is a 2/3rds 720p cmos based CCD with a global shutter, great for it's time but things move on quickly. I find the images pretty much lacking in any colour information as well (which i believe is down to the sensor more than a creative decision). They did an amazing job but as they say themselves 2004/2005 they could do with more light. So it probably wasn't very sensitive. I've not seen sight nor sound of drake since then.

I think the most interesting new camera is probably Johns who's thread seems to have disappeared from this forum at the moment? (am i blind?)

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thread disappeared after some heavy words?

Hotest thread on this forum has disapeard after some heavy words. What is going on?
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Texas rancher might have caught two kids scrapping out in the stockyard knocking bits of skin and hair off each other, each refusing to give in so is likely banging their heads together right now to make them hate him more and stop fighting.

(Old grandfather discipline trick from the 1920's. I did't like being on the receiving end very much at all but it sure ended an argument - for a while at least. Would get you locked up for assault or child abuse these days.).

The discourse might have been vicariously entertaining for the rest of us sitting on the rails watching but it was really becoming too willing for public airing and probably should have gone off the boards into private emails sooner. A little bit sad because both are passionate enthusiasts for what they do.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 30th, 2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with you Bob, but this was very informative and as you say enthusiastic thread for every one here, no mather who's right who's not. I hope that some of this thread will stay somewhere.
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Major Player

ya, certain homemade hd threads seemed to be missing to me too. thats why i felt i had to ask this question so i could see where all the progress is. thanks Paul.
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I’ve been busy trying to get my next little film together and when I surface, I find one of my favourite threads gone!
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

There's only one that I know of: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=113556

We have a massive thread about the Drake here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=34339

It's really too bad, but when a thread degenerates into public bashing of fellow DV Info Net members, that's when it disappears. All I have ever asked of our folks since I started this thing back in 2001 is to *please* treat each other with the utmost courtesy, respect and good will. If you harbor ill thoughts toward another person (or company), then that is your business, but I don't want it on my site.

This is DV Info Net. Not DV Opinion Net.

This is NOT a typical internet message board. Flaming is NEVER allowed here.

That thread certainly had some very interesting potential, but the person who started it became more interested in slagging other people than forwarding the technical discussion. That's when I called it quits.

Fortunately he has a variety of other online communities through which he can carry his crusade. I only hope that he's learned a valuable lesson here about good manners, and doesn't repeat the same mistake on the next forum he goes to. If he's successful on some other forum then I know I've done him a favor here.

Now I have the prerogative of editing that discussion and bringing it back to public view, which could very easily happen. However I'd like everyone to understand in no uncertain terms that what matters to me MOST about this community is that we treat each other well with *unfailing* politeness, *especially* those with whom we do not agree. People who become so passionate as to forget their betters, I am only too happy to usher to the door. I won't compromise my standards for the sake of a particular topic just because it's popular. Mutual respect comes FIRST on this site, always.

DV Info Net is not the only forum on the web for these discussions, but it is clearly the best, and I fully intend to keep it that way. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you Chris. so it got deleted because of flaming. i wasn't around to see it. was there anything note-worthy discovered before it got deleted. Im still in search of the low cost hd camera solution. and i know others share the same journey.
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Bear with me, Forrest... I'll prune the garbage and restore it to public view shortly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Major Player

oh wow. thank you. that would be awesome. no rush on my part.
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods