Lense For Redrock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Lense For Redrock

I'm About to purchase a redrock, and i was curious what lens mount i should purchase....i have this lens: http://spokane.craigslist.org/ele/560874406.html this is the only pic i could find of it, not my post fyi. I somehow didnt think this would work well, so i guess im back at point a. What lens should i buy, and what lens mount! Thanks to all!
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Canon EF lenses would not be my first choice for use with a DOF adapter.
Although the Canon EF lens mount is my first choice for a DOF adapter lens mount. Make sense?
The EF mount, also known as an EOS mount, will give you the greatest number of options in lens choices from a number of manufactures, like Zeiss, Nikon, Pentax, Leica, and many others, through the use of inexpensive lens adapters.

If it were me, rather than getting a particular lens mount and then trying to find lenses to match, I would instead shop for a set of good quality used lenses at a price you can afford, and then purchase the mount to match them.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Loren,

I would strongly recommend you go for a Nikon F mount. We have a 45 year old facility and looking back through our storage room you will find the nikon will give you more options with the same f mount from the older manula lens of the 80s to todays auto focus lens, though you can't use this function, they are still usable as long as you can control its aperture.

Canons, while they make good glass has changed mounts anf the new ones are difficult to control with regards to aperture settings.

You cant go wrong with the nikon f mount.

Several 3rd party lens maker use this mount as well. I use Sigma and Tokina along with my Nikon lenses for my adapters.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Major Player

can anyone suggest a cheap actual lense now? i was thinking about the nikons, and was really leaning towards them, even though i have the canons already, so i need a lens that will get the job done now at the cheapest possible amount. but than again maybe it be better off getting a used one?
someone gave me this piece of advice
"I would get a Nikon 50mm to start, and gradually get a 35mm Nikon then a 85mm Nikon." Seem like a good idea?

Last edited by Loren Simons; February 5th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Loren Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Loren,

Perhaps as a must have, start with a Nikon 50mm. Either f1.4 or f1.2.

I tested the f1.8 and f2. They have smaller rear lens element that will cause vignetting in my setup.

The lens you showed in your link are not ideal, to put it mildly, it has a small aperture at f3.5. It also does not have an aperture ring.

A good place to order cheap lenses is here; www.keh.com look under nikon manual lenses.

Then I suggest you get a wide lens from 20mm to 28mm at f2 or f2.8. You can always move closer to your subject, but its hard to back up when your in a limited space and need a wide shot.

As a guide dont try to look for a lens lower than f2.8.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; February 6th, 2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Trustee

With the Redrock you will need fast lenses. Not to mention a rail support system, follow focus, HD monitor, monitor support arm, monitor batteries & charger, fluid head that can support the extra weight, so forth & so on.
Factor all that into your budget, or else you will be sorely disappointed with your results.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Trustee

David is right lorens, unless you ordered the bundled product that comes with the rods, you do need the rods.

What camera are you using by the way?

As to the monitor, i only have an SD monitor, it works for framing, but not good for critical focus. On fast shoots i just use the cams LCD.

Follow focus is not an essential thing. Ive been doin TV ads and corporate work for more than 15 yrs and i never used it.

That goes too for the matte box. Just get a hood for your lens.
Buy used manual lens.

You can start with the essentials. A respectable tripod is needed. A manfrotto 501 is what i use. Gets the job done and its not very expensive.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Loren:

One option is the old Canon FD primes. There are alot around on ebay, and they have manual control of app.

Obviously make sure you buy the best you can in terms of condition, and get the fastest possible.

28mm and 50mm would be a good start.

Why did you decide to go the redrock route instead of the vibrating eos tube method??

James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Major Player

a wat tube method? hahaha sorry, that went over my head. I have a Canon A1, got the tripod (503HDV), and i know people keep telling me time and time again that i will be dissapointed without buying everythign at once, but i think i can take the dive now, and than build on it. As for the hd monitor, id hate to say it but im thinking about doing that thing were you flip the eye cup to get a rotated image. than later down the line get a monitor, or you know at the price of monitors maybe just a flip module? kk, so with that information, keep them comments coming =D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods