Letus Extreme & EX1 question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Major Player

did you see the bands indoors and/or outdoors? do they move on the screen? slowly crawl upwards or downwards? those look like the bands i have seen other people report under certain types of lighting when using rolling shutter CMOS cameras. if you can reproduce the effect, please try adjusting the shutter and see if the issue still exists. of course if the issue exists with letus but not without, it might be something else, but it does not look like something that would be coming from the letus. anyway, its likely it is related to the flicker of your lighting and the way that is rendered by the rolling shutter at particular framerate and shutter speed combinations. i think i saw another thread about that same issue somewhere else in DVi forums.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Noah-

The bands are there no matter what the lighting conditions are, and they don't move. Adjusting the shutter makes some sense, but this is not a flicker issue- it's a couple of brown bands fixed in view.

I haven't seen the bands without the Letus. I also can't see them when just looking through the adapter itself, so it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the GG per se.

I can check the shutter and a few other adjustments, but if it was a shutter issue related to, say, fluorescent light, the fact that they're still there when I take it outside negates that theory.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Trustee

The band could be caused by interaction between the rolling shutter and the moving GG. Try turning off the GG vibration and see if that stops the banding.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
The band could be caused by interaction between the rolling shutter and the moving GG. Try turning off the GG vibration and see if that stops the banding.
The picture in my post above is with the ground glass vibration turned off. You can clearly see the texture in the GG.
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Looks like polarization artifacts to me.... easy way to check for that....

just rotate the letus by 90 degrees and see if the bands go away or get worse.

Are you using any kind of filter(s) on the secondary lens... if so, see what happens when you take all filters off...

just a shot...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Looks like polarization artifacts to me.... easy way to check for that....

just rotate the letus by 90 degrees and see if the bands go away or get worse.

Are you using any kind of filter(s) on the secondary lens... if so, see what happens when you take all filters off...

just a shot...
Will do. I haven't been able to try many of the group's suggestions today 'cuz I got sick yesterday afternoon. But I'm feeling better and am looking forward to getting this thing worked out.

I'll rotate the Letus- a good idea to test a theory. But there's no lens on the Letus in the frame showing the bands, and hence, no filters.
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Just have to ask.... do you see the banding on the footage after its off of the camera and you are playing on your computer or TV???

or do you see the banding only on the EX1 display screen?
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Just have to ask.... do you see the banding on the footage after its off of the camera and you are playing on your computer or TV???
Yes, the bands are there in the viewfinder and in the video the camera creates- thus the frame I posted above.

It's sounding like no one else has had this experience, so it's not something that's normal with the EX1/Letus combination. I'll do a tiny bit of experimenting and then escalate to Letus customer service. Thanks, all, for the collective troubleshooting.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods