Got the Letus Extreme: first impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Got the Letus Extreme: first impressions

Just got the LEX for my EX1. First thing I noticed: achromat glass slightly chipped off; lucklily out of view (I hope so, didn't check properly yet due to lack of time). Secondly: the GG rectagle not level when mounted on rails and fixed to the camera (twisted some 5-10deg). Again - hopefully, can be adjusted.

But what's most disappointing is the noise of the GG spinning! Do all make so much noise? Frankly, recording sound with on-board mic is impossible!

Or is mine defective? Comments welcome
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Piotr,

Coincidence has it that mine just arrived via Fed Ex today too... Have only quickly opened the box to make sure it was all there... Will have a closer look tomorrow...
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Just got the LEX for my EX1. First thing I noticed: achromat glass slightly chipped off; lucklily out of view (I hope so, didn't check properly yet due to lack of time). Secondly: the GG rectagle not level when mounted on rails and fixed to the camera (twisted some 5-10deg). Again - hopefully, can be adjusted.

But what's most disappointing is the noise of the GG spinning! Do all make so much noise? Frankly, recording sound with on-board mic is impossible!

Or is mine defective? Comments welcome
Both my achromats (stock and EX1 kit) were chipped slightly but it has no effect on picture as its way out of viewing area.

The noise can be helped a bit by making sure everything is really tight. Especially the Letus bracket screws loosen easily (I got new hex screws from letus) and this creates a vibration that the mic picks up. I can't see a way to use the onboard mic for serious work in the original configuration. I will do a little soundproofing out of leather for the LEX when I need to use the onboard mic.

The gg is easily adjustable to level with EX1. You can first adjust it with the camera and then if need be adjust the "nose" of Letus to fit the bracket screw.

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Sami,

I have re-tightened all he screws; the noise has changed pitch, but still everyting is vibrating - the adapter, rails, and the camera!

Regarding twist adjustment: not sure if I follow you. If I turn the adpater on the camera to make the GG level, the "nose" won't fit the bracket on rails (the "nose" has 4 screws, but they go into holes on the main adapter body - so the two parts cannot be rotated in relation to each other).
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5

FWIW...anytime you use a shutter speed higher than 1/60th, the vibration speed of the GG motor is not fast enough to blur the noise.

IOW, when using LEX, always keep your shutter speed under 1/60th.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Regarding twist adjustment: not sure if I follow you. If I turn the adpater on the camera to make the GG level, the "nose" won't fit the bracket on rails (the "nose" has 4 screws, but they go into holes on the main adapter body - so the two parts cannot be rotated in relation to each other).
Oh yeah, you're right! Im sorry Im not sure what i was thinking. You should just first adjust the gg to level and then screw the "nose" into the Letus bracket. It should fit snugly although it seems like its not going in properly at first. But it does. Hard to explain :)
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
I can't see a way to use the onboard mic for serious work in the original configuration. I will do a little soundproofing out of leather for the LEX when I need to use the onboard mic.
Sami, could you elaborate on your idea?
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Major Player

To avoid vibration you can use thin layer of leather to put between the letus bracket and the letus nose. You could even put a very thin rubber band (the kind they use on plumbing) between the thread ring and the Letus.

Now for the actual sound from the spinning gg best would be if you could line the inside of the nose with proper acoustic bending rubber (I dont know the proper name but we used this on 35mm cameras mattebox when I was doing sound engineering on a few films). I dont know if there is enough room and it would have to be glued on the nose and thats a bit scary thing to do incase it comes off and hits the vibrating gg. Then you can make a garment for the whole Letus as well from some good acoustic material. Leather-rubber-leather layered stuff might work well.

Sami
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from EX1 to Letus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods