Short film, A1, Letus Extreme, Nikon lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Short film, A1, Letus Extreme, Nikon lenses

Thought I'd share a recent short. It started out as a test for the Letus adapter, but I thought it would make a nice little short. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.papag.net/red/Red.mov
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Major Player

nicely done.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Great shots and a surprise ending. Very nicely done. Beautiful colors.

Must have been a real chore to run with that set up though. Was that hand held?
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Must have been a real chore to run with that set up though. Was that hand held?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was an interesting challenge pulling my own focus, on my lap (no AC's!). Most of it hand-held, some on sticks. Very cumbersome and heavy and I didn't have my rails yet.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Major Player

The shot at 1:24 looked like the Letus wasn't turned on...? Good vid... What lenses did you use?
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Davis View Post
The shot at 1:24 looked like the Letus wasn't turned on...? Good vid... What lenses did you use?
You're right. That was O.R. (operator error). I forgot to turn it on! Then it was too late to do a reshoot as I discovered in post. I was using one of the earlier prototypes which had the red indicator light in the front instead of the back near the operator. I'd recommend anyone using these adapters to just leave it turned on all the time and swap out batteries as necessary since they're so convenient to swap out. Love the battery covers on the Letus extreme. It takes about 2.5 seconds to swap out the batteries! Well thought out, as no one's going to want to waste time to do another take.

I used fifty-year old Nikon non AI lenses that I bought at a Pawn Shop in Portland. Not as much contrast as I'd like, but very sharp. Luckily, I can compensate with the A1's setting.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

loved the ending. Did you just get a different actress to look into the car?
Alex Plank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great short film. Same question as Alex. It looked like you did that in post using the same girl to me. I'm a beginner though so I don't have a great eye for such things.

The only thing I didn't like was the first thunder clap because I used the same sound effect in home video and your film was to good to have the same sound effect that my silly home video had.

Which shot was the letus turned off? Just wondering what the difference is.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Insung,

That was a great film! Very well done. Great ending. Was that a real wreck? How did you manage that shot?

Judging by the fall colors, this was done a while back huh?

Tom,
Towards the end there is a scene wher you first see the car and then the next shot is a low angle close up of the girl. The shot was with the Letus turned off.

I've made that mistake many times even though I leave it on almost all the time. Probably as a result of that in fact because I'm not in the habbit of check it.
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

It's the same actress, but composited in FCP with an 8-point matte. It was shot twice with a wardrobe change, and with the camera locked down.

The sound effects of the lightning... shucks, yeah you're right. Google the "Wilhelm Scream" and you'll see how many times that scream was used in how many famous movies. Here's a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio I guess mine wasn't disguised well enough.

The wreck was not real. I wanted a RED car to symbolize the girl in the forest. I went to several junk yards and there were hundreds of red cars, only without wheels, door panels, etc. So they were all useless. I was about to give up and then I saw one red car in the back which was "freshly wrecked." I told the owner of the junk yard what I was doing and he happily used a giant fork lift and placed it in position against the telephone pole. The smoke was from a fog machine underneath the car.

This was shot in the latter part of fall in Portland. A few days later most of the leaves had fallen off the trees.
Insung Hwang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods