Letus Extreme with FX1/Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Trustee

Letus Extreme with FX1/Z1?

Anyone here has videos to share? I have tried the Brevis flip combo n it works really well. However the size of the LEX is kinda sexy to me so I m pondering whether to make the move. FX1/Z1 doesnt do macro well so I really worry that i will need a spacer to get the sharpness.

I have seen 2 videos so far but I'm not confident unfortunately...
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm using it with the Sony V1U. I'd say if it works with this camera, a few stops darker than a Z1 or FX1 it should be fine. I have an FX1 but have not strapped it on yet. With the Zacuto rails, it's a pain to swap around once it's all dialed in to the V1.

Here's a link to a video shot with the V1 and LEX.

http://www.vimeo.com/883481
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Thks Paul. Lookin good..! its a pity I do not have access to an LEX locally. Would be great to pit it against my Brevis35 now. But I guess if it could work well with the V1 it shouldnt have any problems with the FX1. As I know the macro focusing on the diffuser is quite an issue for Sony cams.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Am learner driving this exposureroom thing so this link may not work at all.

Origination was on Z1 with the Letus Extreme Cine Kit fitted up straight out of the box as a test of its "turnkey" capability, without any fussing or fine tuning being done.

Seems it is a whole new evolution and structurally solid.

The clip was done in haste in adverse lighting conditions for 0dg video gain.

The one zoom in the clip was achieved through relay zoom and not a zoom lens on front of the Extreme. The improved resolution and generously large groundglass allows a limited zoom function with the Sony HVR-Z1/HDR-FX1, a distinct advantage when needing to re-compose a shot in haste and time does not permit a lens change or moving of the camera position.

There is a long blackout header on the clip so if you get a long black nothing on the download, do not fret, its coming ( I hope ).

Anyway. See what you think.

http://exposureroom.com/members/DARA...c75b6f2bf0466/

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 1st, 2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

A furthur clip for you, shot also in evening low-light. The very first shot is Noct-Nikkor 58mm f1.2 older 7 blade iris, wide-open. Camera gain was +12db.

http://exposureroom.com/members/DARA...253f62ecdd2be/
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

ANGENIEUX 25mm - 250mm ZOOM KINOPTIK 9.8mm PRIME

Here is another very short clip trying two older cine lenses on the Extreme with the PL-mount.

http://exposureroom.com/members/DARA...271159772a002/

The lenses are are actually ARRI standard mount with PL-Mount adaptors fitted.

They are :-

Angenieux 25mm to 250mm f3.5 zoom.
Kinoptik 9.8mm f1.8 ultra-wide prime.

Both lenses are softer than a prime, the Kinoptik apparently softer but some of this may be attributable to flare.

The Angenieux has a nice look regardless.

It was bought from ebay at a good price but needed some TLC on arrival as it had lube stains on the moving group and heavy fungus, fortunately, no etching of the glass except a very small patch on the front element out of shot.

You need to zoom in some more for cine lenses, closer to the groundglass area of the P+S Technik Mini35.

Except for super smooth zoom dampened movement of the fresh serviced Angenieux and the f1.8 available aperture of the Kinoptik, there might not be any field-of-view advantages to be had over stills lenses and a resolution penalty, slight for the Angenieux but considerable for the Kinoptik.

The Kinoptik has a sharper apparent image for closer subjects but the focus witness marks are correct for distance so there is not a backfocus issue that I can determine.

The lenses are are actually ARRI standard mount with PL-Mount adaptors fitted.

They are :-

Angenieux 25mm to 250mm f3.5 zoom.
Kinoptik 9.8mm f1.8 ultra-wide prime.

Both lenses are softer than a prime, the Kinoptik apparently softer but some of this may be attributable to flare.

The Angenieux has a nice look regardless.

It was bought from ebay at a good price but needed some TLC on arrival as it had lube stains on the moving group and heavy fungus, fortunately, no etching of the glass escept a very small patch on the front element out of shot.

You need to zoom in some more for cine lenses, closer to the groundglass area of the P+S Technik Mini35.

Except for super smooth zoom dampened movement of the fresh serviced Angenieux and the f1.8 available aperture of the Kinoptik, there might not be any field-of-view advantages to be had over stills lenses and a resolution penalty, slight for the Angenieux but considerable for the Kinoptik.

The Kinoptik has a sharper apparent image for closer subjects but the focus witness marks are correct for distance so there is not a backfocus issue that I can determine.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 5th, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add link
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

SIGMA 50mm-500mm f4-f6.3 ZOOM.

The aperture of this lens at the tele end of the zoom range is 1.3 f-stops outside of the safe range of the Extreme and Mini35 with respect groundglass artifacts becoming apparent.

This short clip is a test of use in gathering aircraft images.

http://exposureroom.com/members/DARA...6a3343879664d/

The Mini35 and Letus Extreme alignments are good enough that the left eye can be used for finding and the right eye on the Sony eyepiece and the centre target of the eyepiece view co-incides with the subject seen far distant with the left eye.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods