HV30 + Brevis test clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 19th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #1
Major Player

HV30 + Brevis test clip

Inspired by Ian Lim, the idea was to streamline the form factor and have something truly handheld and yet utilize 35mm lenses.

The HV30 is an INCREDIBLE cam for its price. Everything they say about it is true (and more!). I can see using this cam for controlled lighting situations and the bright outdoors. It performs very well indoors but stating the obvious, no match for a three chipper.

The Brevis is an incredible piece of engineering. Solidly built and delivers on all of its claims. The most crucial thing of course is light loss and it's a mere half stop on the Brevis (with the flip). Take note that I'm coming from the original Letus and difference is as clear as night and day.

The clip below was shot using the HV30 on cine mode, DV wide with a Brevis flip and a combination of lenses.

[url "http://www.myweddingvid.com/videos/hv30_brevis_001.wmv"]HV30 Brevis[/url]

Thanks to Patrick for introducing me to the Brevis and Jeff Erie for teaching me how to lock exposure.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

let's sort that link out for you...

http://www.myweddingvid.com/videos/hv30_brevis_001.wmv
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Major Player

That's a nice piece - hard to believe it's a sub $1,000 camera. What is the music you used?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Gorgeous as usual (wouldn't expect anything less).

How did you find focusing using the HV30's screen or, are you using an external screen?

How about rails, or, are you keeping it neat?

Any chance of a pic of your setup?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Ooh.. nice job buddy. U must be using 2 cameras with 2 guys I guess? The brevis rig would make a nice B cam.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Still Motion

Awesome footage Jason. You have me interested in trying that setup now too. I love how your work is always so consistent, in terms of quality, and always has your look to it no matter what tools you use. To me, that is the mark of a true artist.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

whoa! we want one! :D
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ricahard for fixing the link.

Eroc, it's - David Gray - This Year's Love. But this wasn't a real clip for the client. I slapped it all all together and put on a song just to show how the brevis and hv performed.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Hi Jason,

Gorgeous as usual (wouldn't expect anything less).

How did you find focusing using the HV30's screen or, are you using an external screen?

How about rails, or, are you keeping it neat?

Any chance of a pic of your setup?
If there's a way to put pictures within the post, somebody tell me please :).
IN the meantime ...

http://myweddingvid.com/images/hv30brevis.jpg
http://myweddingvid.com/images/hv30brevis2.jpg

Pardon the pictures. I had no SLR on hand so I settled with a camphone.

First, no external screen, that would weigh it down severely. I wanted a truly handheld rig.

There are rails yes. Not so much as to support but so I can have something to hold it with. I did not use the supplied rails as it looke big and clunky. I would understand using it for a full production setup but not for weddings. It's intimidating as it is so I wouldn't want to increase the form factor.

What I did was use the rails of my old Letus setup (smaller, lighter), but used the Brevis to rails mount sent by Cinevate.

I need the rods to extend just a bit to the lens. My shooting/focusing is unorthodox. I don't use a follow focus so what I do is wrap my pinky and ring finger around one of the rods and use my thumb and and index to focus manually (my right hand is cradling the rig all the while).

Thanks Alistair!
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Ooh.. nice job buddy. U must be using 2 cameras with 2 guys I guess? The brevis rig would make a nice B cam.
Since it was my first time shooting with it, yes, there were two other FX1s doing the job. But bride preps were mostly shot using the Brevis/HV30.

Here's my ultimate dream, to be able to shoot the whole wedding, in whatever lighting condition, with 35mm lenses.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Awesome footage Jason. You have me interested in trying that setup now too. I love how your work is always so consistent, in terms of quality, and always has your look to it no matter what tools you use. To me, that is the mark of a true artist.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick! The dinky rig is awesome for setup shots with controlled lighting. Remember that I shot in DV mode, I believe it'll be more spectacular with you shooting 24pHDV.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Inspired by me? I'm truly honored, Sir Jason... Haha, congrats on your new gear!
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #13
Major Player

woah! for some reason that Brevis+Flip looks small mounted to your HV30.. I've always thought it was big.. which is why I got the Letus Mini...

Beautiful clip Jason.. When shooting with the Brevis, how far do you have to zoom in on the HV30 to bypass the vignette on the ground glass?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey Yang, Jasons shown us his setup. It would be great if you showed us a picture of your Letus/HV20 combo? I think a lot of us would be interested in seeing how they compare.

Cheers
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Major Player

I don't have pic of my setup right now but Letus direct shows the HV20 attached to a Letus Mini..

http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/imag...-hand-held.jpg
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods