Momentum of GG following Pan - normal?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Momentum of GG following Pan - normal??

Hi,
Had my extreme a couple of weeks now and am mightily impressed with it. But i have noticed a couple of times an odd thing occuring. At the end of a fast pan, or a relatively quick movement, it appears that the GG has some momentum that causes it to jump a little bit. Having had a look at the mechanism earlier I can see how this can happen, as the GG itself is mounted on 3 legs with elastic properties, but I just wonder if anyone else has noticed it - is it normal?

Thanks,

Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Choice of two possible causes.

There is likely enough rotational movement in the groundglass motion to induce some centrifugal forces which would resist a panning motion enough to cause a hiccup the moment you stop the pan movement.

The sudden stop of the pan movement might be enough to cause the groundglass carrier to move a little furthur, or slow momentarily depending on whether the stop is additive or subtractive to the direction the groundglass carrier is going at the time.

My personal choice is the first suggested cause because a panning movement is an angular deviation more likely to be resisted by a centrifugal force. Maybe some interaction between first and second causes.

A test using a pure lateral tracking movement would tell the truth.

I would not fret too much over it. Nothing is likely to break before the camera itself does with sensible camera moves.

I have a large glass disk in a home-made which chatters off focus for about a quarter-second if I stop a whip pan suddenly. Like the Letus groundglass carrier, my disk motor is supported on compliant mounting.

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 20th, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Do you have your image stabilization on? You should turn that off whenever using an adapter.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Barry.

Thank you for pointing that one out and saving the enquirer from a possible dead-end answer. I had forgotten about stabilisation which I always select off.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys, I *think* the steadyshot function is still switched on, so that could very well explain it (in which case I will hang my head and take the walk of shame!) I'll try tonight and report back....
This style of shooting is a whole new world for me, and I ruined a load of nice footage a week ago by not stopping down enough on the camera so the grain was really visibile, but usually the answers are somewhere on this board... Thanks!!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Yep, that was it - nail on the head, bullseye, eureka! etc etc. LOL!

Thanks - most appreciated.....
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

IGNORE MY POST ABOVE May 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM

In light of the solution found to the problem, my comment above should be ignored.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods