New Extreme owner-Tips + more questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 1st, 2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Trustee

New Extreme owner-Tips + more questions

Here are a couple shortcuts we figured out when using it with the Canon A1 or h1.
1- Focus on gg as per instructions. At first we weren't able to even see what they were talking about. we then used the magnifying function and were able to see and focus in on the gg. Once having the camera focus set correctly, i used the focus prest switch to set it. that way, you don't have to tape down the focus ring, and if you accidentaly move it, you just use your prest.
2-Zoom- I realized that the Extreme lets you zoom in tighter than where it's suggested to keep it (jsut before vignetting). I checked with Hien and he said that the Extreme does let you do this. This way the prime slr lens also has zoom capability, and you can go in tight for focus. I also used the zoom prest to mark the correct wide position, and be able to go back there at any time.

Questions-
1-Has anyone cut extreme footage with standard lens footage from the same camera? I wasn't able to get deep enough dof for some shots, so i used the other camera (same preset look) with the stock lens. We haven't captured it yet, or done any twaeking in post, but it sure is a different look.
I love the rich color and look with the Extreme, but am not sure how to use it exclusively.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Good tips for the A1, what is your focus set at? I keep my focus preset at 0.8m . Cutting together footage without the letus still looks fine. I just finished my first DP job on a Indy feature and used the adapter for close ups and medium shots, and used the A1 camera lens for wide shots and establishing shots (I didn't own a wide-angle lens at the time).
I will post the trailers for this new feature shot on the XH-A1 and Letus Extreme soon in a new thread. Thanks.
Tim Altonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Tim,
I think my focus preset was also at .8. I have re vocused on the ground glass first a couple of shoots just to be sure.
Since my previous post, I've been able to use the letus on several shoots. I've come up with the same strategy as you- I use the letus for close ups and medium shots when there's enough light. For the wide, establishing, and steadycam shots, i stick with the regular lens. I usually leave the letus on my XLH1 and use the a1 fior the regular stuff. By using matching pre sets and wb'ing both cameras, the footage cuts with no problem.
We did a public service spot last week, which involved nead shot interviews of kids outside, and then some shots inside the gym/basketball court. I used my Nikon 105,, f 1.8 for the outside shots and it looked great. I used nd filter and even stopped down to 4.5.
Back in the gym, I set up a couple of lights and tried my 24mm f 2.8. There was no way it would work without a LOT more light. Do I switched to the A1 for the indoor shots, and it looks fine.
I'm looking forward to using it more, but am realizing the limitations when there isn' a huge amount of light.
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video & Photography
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods