The Letus Extreme Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Trustee

The Letus Extreme Video

Video made to explain what it is, how it works, how it goes together and just how different the image is to a stock camera.

Two cameras filmed the same person and objects side by side to show the difference.

http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_...s_Extreme.html

If it isn't there just yet it will be there in minutes!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Beautiful Work all around! and thank you for this, its always great to see it side by side.

I had a few quick questions, do you use a follow focus? and if so any you like over the others?

And the shutter speed, what is the max you would say? 1/120th or even slower than that? I am usually at 1/48th in 24frame but for slow motions effects I have gone as high as 1/100th in 24 or even 1/120th in 60i so I was just curious about what the limit is, I have been using a spinning one that is real old and outdated to play with and have not really tried it but in any real shoot I would not use this one anyway which is why I am thinking of the letus extreme.

And my last question for you, (I have plenty more but I won't bother you with them) when you say stay under 5.6, is that in camera control or do you also mean on the 35mm lens? I can see that a larger depth of field from the camera optics could quickly become an issue, but woudl think that the front elements projecting an image should not matter much since you are not gaining any optical depth of field from camera to focus screen(accumat?) I ask because in commercials I have been shooting with the genesis and f900/950 the remaining and I have stopped down quite a few times to get what I wanted so this may be an issue for me that may make me reluctantly wait on the ultimate.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice work Phillip. Great shots and clear explanation.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Major Player

My eyes keep confirming to me that compared to the M2 and the Brevis, the Letus puts out an undesirable ground-glassy bokeh I can't live with. Perhaps the Letus Ultimate will improve on this. Just my humble opinion.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Really? Where are you seeing that? As an owner of all four I really disagree.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Eastwood View Post
Beautiful Work all around! and thank you for this, its always great to see it side by side.

I had a few quick questions, do you use a follow focus? and if so any you like over the others?

And the shutter speed, what is the max you would say? 1/120th or even slower than that? I am usually at 1/48th in 24frame but for slow motions effects I have gone as high as 1/100th in 24 or even 1/120th in 60i so I was just curious about what the limit is, I have been using a spinning one that is real old and outdated to play with and have not really tried it but in any real shoot I would not use this one anyway which is why I am thinking of the letus extreme.

And my last question for you, (I have plenty more but I won't bother you with them) when you say stay under 5.6, is that in camera control or do you also mean on the 35mm lens? I can see that a larger depth of field from the camera optics could quickly become an issue, but woudl think that the front elements projecting an image should not matter much since you are not gaining any optical depth of field from camera to focus screen(accumat?) I ask because in commercials I have been shooting with the genesis and f900/950 the remaining and I have stopped down quite a few times to get what I wanted so this may be an issue for me that may make me reluctantly wait on the ultimate.
I should have said on the video it's f5.6 on the 35mm lens. Do what you want with the camera lens. 1/120th is as fast as I would recommend for safety.

Yes I sometimes use a follow focus, essential for avoid lens wobble

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods